what does it take to put ac in?

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 89 7.3 parts truck that has ac, and I am wanting to swap the ac in to my truck, but I know noting about it. What does it take to do that swap? As far as I can tell all parts for ac are in the parts truck

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its very easy, swap to the ac controls, change the engine side suitcase, then all brackets to mount comp to engine. Install condensor and lines. do you have the tall rad in your 88?

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like the exact same radiator

What about the wiring?
How does all that work? Or what do I need to do as far that goes?

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also the radiator core support that's in my truck came out of one that had ac and from what I can tell it looks like the cooler and lines will fit in mine exactly as they are in the parts truck

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am working on doing this now on my truck. I am replacing the cheesy dealer AC with new OEM type components. As Russ mentions, you will need the engine side AC plenum in addition tot he other usual parts like condenser, hoses, accumulator, evaporator, orifice tube, orings, etc. The wiring harness, at least on the used AC plenum I bought, was already installed. Here are a few pics of the engine side AC plenum I purchased from a '95 truck. Yours may be slightly different being an '88. I am going to take more pics as I install the AC, but it is going to take a while as I am replacing head gaskets as well.
You must be registered for see images attach

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have everything, truck I'm taking it out of its factory ac, my truck tho has never had ac and I just need to know how the wiring stuff needs to be done up, is my whole dashboards harness gunna need to be swapped? Or just add in the stuff that goes to the ac? Electrical just loses me

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wiring on our trucks for the ac is super simple.switch to low pressure switch on accumulator to compressor.there is also vacuum hoses

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does it need to connect into existing wiring in my truck?
Or does it need to?

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look how it is in the donor truck. The heater ac harness is a separate piece on bricks. There will be a plug where you need it. Don't panic or over think it. It is easier than it seems. Take pics if the trucks are not side by side.

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really my main concerns with wiring is is there some extra wiring that goes to the control panel in the cab, and I traced where the wires went from the compressor to the fender and they go into a connector that my truck doesn't have

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bricks is reference to the 87-91 pickups. They are "brick nosed".

If I was you I would start by pulling the outside unit off the firewall. Then start following all the wiring back from the compressor and the pressure switch. I believe that wiring actually comes from the firewall over the a/c box by the heater hoses. It appears to have the blower motor wiring in there also. There might be a ground that ties into the front harness, but that's not big deal. Just ground it.

I've had my dash and all the a/c stuff out and I was impressed with how modular it seemed to be.

This picture shows the wiring coming out and going to the blower motor. The round black plug was the one that runs my compressor if I remember right.

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, duh, I was still stuck on electrical train of thought, wasn't thinking about it meaning brick nose, thought it was meaning some kind of brick the wires go to lol

Pressure switch? Sorry don't know anything about ac systems

That sounds like a good way to go about it, thanks

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pressure switch is on the drier. Driers the big metal can on front of ac box. It's already removed in my picture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online