Heater Core Bypass Valve

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
So, I have the valve in hand, and was wondering if there is a vacuum source that works on normal AC. Not just Max AC. I'd like to have the heater core bypassed any time AC is selected.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like an electrical bypass valve would have been ideal... relay it off the compressor signal.

Otherwise, there isn't a vacuum source that's active on "normal" AC, just "max" to recirculate and close the fresh air intake.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know of a vacuum source that would apply vacuum in AC and in MAX AC but not at any other time.

I haven't done it yet, but I had the idea of installing a vacuum switch on the temperature blend selector arm, so that when the arm's all the way in the "Cold" direction, vacuum would be applied to that line and the bypass valve was actuated. I don't know how practical it would be, but I agree that that would be better than only having the valve close when the system's set to MAX AC.

Failing that, an electric valve tied to the compressor power line (before the compressor cycling switch) would be the best way to get the result you want, although there's one problem there that may complicate things...the compressor's activated when the system's set to DEFROST. You want the compressor cycling in DEFROST mode; it helps to dry the air before going through the heater core. But, obviously, you also want heat. :)

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah dang, good catch on that... scratch the electrical one.

I just used a manual ball valve on my 09. Older Dodge trucks used a cable driven bypass... maybe that could be rigged up

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
It would take some figuring. But seems like there would be a way to tap into the blend door. Where when the temp is on cold, it'll close it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Staff online