Injector Pump Issues (Runaway like symptoms)

justaworktruck

Reaction score
So just purchased a 1992 7.3 1 ton a while ago. Great truck for what I paid for it, however it has been giving me a weird issue lately.

It rolls far too much coal when driving normally, seems like someone has turned up the fuel on this truck, but not sure....but anyways the problem is when going up a hill in a lower gear getting close to redline it will all of a sudden start puking out GOBS of black smoke, literally making the road behind me disappear, and when taking my foot off the pedal it continues to rev up way past redline. The only way I manage to get it under control is to shut the key off and than back on, and after playing with the throttle a little it will start to get back to idle. Once at idle it is rough for about a minute, but eventually it gets back to normal and I can drive off as though nothing happened.

Am from the cummins world and therefor know nothing about these ford diesels. But to me it seems like a partial fuel runaway, and am curious to see what you all think. Am not against putting in a new fuel injection pump, but would like to see if it is a problem I can fix without throwing a pile of money at it.

Thanks for any help you can lend.

Cheers

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it turbo charged? I'm wondering if it's eating crankcase oil when the oil pressure gets up there with the higher rpms

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Sounds like something internal to the pump.
But I'm wandering if the throttle is sticking. Take a look at the cable.
Here's a good picture showing what to look for. The red plastic being broken. (Note: the actual throttle cable has been removed. This is the cruise control cable.)
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Can you tel us how many miles are on the injection pump? If not my suggestion is replace it because it sounds to me like something bad is happening internally to the pump. Might add 2 or 3 quarts of trans fluid to the next pull tank of fuel. the auto trans fluid has cleaners in it that may clean out and sticking valves in the pump. Of add one of the many fuel tratments but double the amount. It will also clean up a dirty pump and fuel system.

justaworktruck

Reaction score
Will check the throttle linkage again tomorrow, from my quick look earlier it seemed to be free and clear.

There are 330000km's/200000miles on the truck, no idea if that translates to the pump as well, but more than likely. A guy on ford-trucks.com figures it may be a governer or metering valve issue, will take the top off the pump tomorrow and snoop around to see. Thanks for the tranny fluid suggestion as well as fuel treatment, will give that a go too.

Will report any findings, if anyone else thinks of something or has dealt with this issue please to chim in!

Cheers

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When in doubt, change it out.
Sure sounds like something is going on with your injection pump. And as stated, check throttle cable and replace if it looks cruddy. I would also check to make sure throttle return spring is on the IP.
This sounds like a serious safety concern and I wouldn't drive vehicle much until this gets figured out.

justaworktruck

Reaction score
Will try the cheaper options first than migrate up to the more expensive injection pump option. Round here (canada) they aren't all that cheap.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will try the cheaper options first than migrate up to the more expensive injection pump option. Round here (canada) they aren't all that cheap.

Hey...I am in Cawston...bring it by we can go for a spin see if we can isolate the issue.

He is 1/2hr drive away from me so maybe I can offer some assistance.

JM7.3CW

justaworktruck

Reaction score
Awfully kind of you riotwarrior! Let me try a few things out myself first, and if I can't get any results would definitely like to take you up on this offer.

justaworktruck

Reaction score
Well did an oil and filter change yesterday and noticed that there was a lot more oil coming out of the pan than should have been, a bunch more than 10 litres. Looks like I am leaking fuel into the crankcase from somewhere. Always warm up the engine before doing an oil change to thin out the oil and get as much of the old stuff out as possible, was only about 5-10 minutes of idle and driving, and the oil was incredibly hot coming out of the drain, which again leads me to believe fuel in oil since thined out oil would heat up far quicker.

So far from reading around it seems like the culprit could be the lift pump, injection pump or injectors leaking fuel into the crankcase. Any other possible culprits? From reading it seems as though the lift pump has a drain to keep diesel from going panside, so possible a seal in the injection pump. Another thing am noticing is the truck is taking a few more cranks when cold to fire up, which could mean lift pump?

Also took off the air filter and noticed a lot of oil in the intake manifold, also excessive oil in the cdr valve. Not sure if this was the cause to my runaway like problem, but am leaning towards most likely not sense I was able to control it with the key, and if it was running on engine oil it would not have stopped. Put some atf in the fuel tank and put diesel kleen in a fresh fuel filter, let it run for 45 seconds and is now currently sitting for a couple days.

Just doing some reading on these engines and learnt about cavatation, so will be checking the coolant tomorrow to see if I can see any oil in there, fingers crossed that the right additive was put into the coolant by the owner previous.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I hadn't heard of this lift pump drain before.
That would be my first thought.
Injectors would be less likely, if the truck is otherwise running fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fuel in oil is most likely lift pump.

Seal in IP might however very not likely to leak fuel into crancase.

Cavitation wont cause oil in coolant however it will cause coolant in oil.

Blown seals in oil cooler will cause oil in coolant.

Bad CDR will leak condensed oil vapor in intake and thus run down and feed cylinders untill it is gone.

JM7.ECW EH

justaworktruck

Reaction score
Good to know! Definitely no coolant in my oil, nor oil in my coolant, so that is all good news.
Just went by napa to get a fuel pump, and saw that they sold airtex....and walked away, have not heard a lot of good about them. Ordered one directly from ford, got a cdr valve as well.

Should have this old beast running like a top in no time.

Diesel kleen has been sitting in the injection pump for a couple days, just fired the truck up to cycle everything a little and boy does it sound different! Is there any bad in letting this stuff sit in the injection pump for a long time, like while I am waiting on parts to come in?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online