93' F250 IDI non turbo Clutch / Transmission

Reevo93idi

Reaction score
Hey all, I have 160,000 miles on my IDI fairly good shape. I recently replaced the fuel tanks and all the fun of replacing the fuel lines and the manual fuel selector. After driving over 100 miles it just started to act as if I have air in the lines again. So I switched tanks and the problem stopped for now.

Anyways! My clutch is on it's very last leg, if I give it too much gas the RPMs spike. I purchased a stock replacement from parts geek for 180. Also, my 3rd gear grinds almost every time I out it into 3rd. The other gears I haven't had an issue. I just got back from a local transmission shop that is going to charge $1,500 for clutch replacement ($600 if I only get this done) transmission rebuild ($900 if I need it). Does this seem like a fair price? I'm located in Chicago near midway ( work ) I live near wicker park in the city. Was curious if anyone had any recommendations on a good shop or if this price seems standard.

Thanks!

Reeve

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rebuild sounds pretty cheap but 600 for just the clutch job and you supply the parts? Sounds a little pricey to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3rd gear synchro gone in all likelyhood.

Did you just get a disk and pressure plate?

How is the DMF is it tight?

Reevo93idi

Reaction score
The rebuild sounds pretty cheap but 600 for just the clutch job and you supply the parts? Sounds a little pricey to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, $500 to drop the transmission. So I figured since the tranny Is dropped I'd do some work on her to avoid paying another $500 in the future

Reevo93idi

Reaction score
3rd gear synchro gone in all likelyhood.

Did you just get a disk and pressure plate?

How is the DMF is it tight?

I just checked and I ordered the LuK clutch kit (part # 07-092) I just realized that this clutch kit is for the 7.5 non diesel truck and will not fit mine. It's been well over 30 days and I unfortunately ordered it from partsgeek. So it looks like I'm SOL and have to order the proper clutch. Any suggestions?

As for the DMF, I'm not sure if it's tight or not. Or the current condition of the DMF. Does my truck come stock with a DMF or a SMF?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just checked and I ordered the LuK clutch kit (part # 07-092) I just realized that this clutch kit is for the 7.5 non diesel truck and will not fit mine. It's been well over 30 days and I unfortunately ordered it from partsgeek. So it looks like I'm SOL and have to order the proper clutch. Any suggestions?

As for the DMF, I'm not sure if it's tight or not. Or the current condition of the DMF. Does my truck come stock with a DMF or a SMF?

Stock is dmf..and if its sloppy a clutch kit is hardly worth the bill...better to cancel that order and do a SMF kit complete.

Sloppy dmf can and will cause grief and you will end up doing job 2 x for price of 2 when 1x should have sufficed.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
He already received the gasser clutch. Can't cancel. I'd throw it up on ebay.
Personally I would just order a new SMF kit. (I know a select few prefer the DMF, and for good reason, but it's a bit more "technical" to keep them in good shape than most average Joe's can handle)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Call pioneer trans in Franklin park. Just ask if they can recommend a shop. He might work on it but they do fleets, he is an Allison shop but knows everyone. Gary is his name. Tell him Russ from Oregon said to call. They don't normally do Automotive type work. And your quote sounds high. Even for Chicago area

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have a shop/garage and a decent selection of tools, you can easily drop the trans the do the SMF/Clutch swap yourself. No need to pay for that.

Trans rebuild quote is a bit cheaper than I've seen for ZF5's. Most are in the $800-$1000 range.

Heath

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how bad is 3rd gear grind? If i shift fast ill get a scuff going into 3rd everyitme. if i do a 1 steam boat count between 2-3 no grind. or if i double clutch no grind. Aint rebuilding just for that..

Reevo93idi

Reaction score
So I got another quote from a shop that is down the street from our facility. Family run business for the past 30+ years. Turns out he has a wood burning stove (I work for a hardwood manufacturing mill) and am able to give him firewood for life, haha. So hopefully he will sweeten the deal on labor.

Anyways, he quoted me $2,700 for replacing the clutch, transmission and flywheel. New transmission he found online, not sure if its the ZFS5-47 (which I would like to get but found for $1,290 http://www.smartpartsauto.com/manual_transmission_zf_ford_5spd.html) Going to go with the DMF even though I have heard that the single is better. Don't want to do the conversion at the moment. Now I'm not sure where to pick up the clutch kit. He told me a new clutch with flywheel is around 500. But I'm having trouble finding a kit. Any recs on where I can go online to find these items?

Thanks guys

Happy 4th of july weekend!

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a stickie and or tech 101 here the boys hash out the specs pretty well.
Look in the headers of this forum and see if they help answer your questions.
Not alot one can ask that has not been discussed here somewhere.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A factory DMF kit will be a ****** to find....this is why most swap to SMF.

500 sounds like SMF kit w flywheel.

A replacement DMF last I priced was around 600 US so add the PP and disk and TO and pilot bearing....

Not cheap

Check w Ford for DMF likely discontinued...obsolete...

Just sayin....gunna be a ****** to find a new replacement..

Quick check on fleabay ...new dmf appears correct 495

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online