Quote from different thread

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Got the '92 in the sig that has been sitting at the farm for at least a couple years. When I parked it out there it had bio-diesel in it. 100% in one tank if I recall correctly. Years later it has precipitated a dark red-brown goo. We discovered this after getting the truck running and driving it around the country block. Ran ok. Next day crank no start. Basic trouble shooting...Check if there is fuel. Yup. Check fuel filter.
Good grief!
With flash:
You must be registered for see images attach

Without flash:

Replaced the filter. Truck started and ran. :)

My brother bought a car in Ft.Saskatchewan which is about 70 km from the farm. So, we filled the tanks with diesel and headed out in the truck. It started dyeing when letting up on the fuel pedal quickly. Rather annoying when you're heading into a left turn. We made it there.
I thought the truck seemed sluggish, so I advanced the timing a bit while my brother finalized the car deal. IIRC, I had retarded the timing to run with the bio-diesel.

It fired up ok, and seemed a bit better, but hardly noticeable. We made it home ok.

In the evening I got the idea to try the ATF in the fuel filter procedure...until I pulled the new filter off. It was worse than the first fuel filter!

That is why there are two bases in the picture. The dirtiest one is with only 140 km (87 miles) on it.

The truck would not start the next day, with a third fuel filter. :( Gummed up Injector Pump.

We spent the day replacing the IP and injectors and pumping the fuel tanks out. Got it done and took it out for a spin to warm it up.
Wow! Did that wake it up! Got back after a good run and timed it. 12* BTDC with the Ferret. Set it back down to just under 10* BTDC.
old IP:

New IP:

Yes, I had the parts with me. :sly I suspected this might happen. Especially after my brothers attempts at trying to start it.

The goo stays liquid in the fuel, but if exposed to air turns to a hard plastic. My brother thinks its polymerization happening. I recall reading something about bio-diesel doing that when exposed to oxygen and steel...like sitting in a vented fuel tank for years. :rolleyes:
When we pumped the tanks we ran it into a stainless steel pan. The goo stuck to the bottom of the pan really well, meaning it was a b!@tch to clean! I cleaned the filter bottom with gasoline. It kinda dissolved it, but only kinda. It was a pain cleaning it off.

End of report. Going to buy a lottery ticket, I seem to be on a lucky streak. :D

So, that's the test.

You have to re-add the pics.

Last edited: