Owner operator basic maintenance yes or no

overhaulin

Reaction score
I recently purchase an older Ford 655D backhoe and started buying all the basic filters and fluids. A buddy of mine asked me why I was changing it myself vs paying someone else perform the basic fluid and filter changes as well as greasing the machine. I told him I was trying to save myself a little money to do more or other things.

So my question is do most owner operators perform their own basic maintenance or do they pay someone else to do it? Just curious.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a KW C500 with an 8V92 TA with a 13 speed and I did everything on that truck. I had to take it into a shop once for the AC, but other than that, I did it all. Dumping 15 gallons of oil was mind-blowing for the first time. After than no big deal. Go for it and save your self some $$$.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as you know what you are doing and have the time, I would do all maintenance myself. I wouldn't "learn" on a business vehicle though.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Your buddie's lazy.
Yep.
I get there's certain stuff some people don't feel comfortable with, but basic maintenance... come on now. Tell me when you hear the pop from your head coming out your ****.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

sonictech.net

Reaction score
If you're busy it's hard to save money doing scheduled maintenance yourself because you're giving up whatever you could be earning instead (or the value of your free time). Also you can't deduct your time but you can deduct whatever you pay someone else. IMHO the main value in doing it yourself is learning about your equipment so you see problems coming and can fix failures in the field.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can catch a lot of minor problems before they turn into to major problems by just going around and greasing a machine yourself. Doing basic maintenance is a good way of inspecting the machine.