Have questions about 351w to IDI swap

manimal

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
YES I have searched over 37 pages and each time I see a thread about a swap..the replies are "SEARCH"....
So here is what I am doing and I need guidance...Thank You in advance

I just traded my 71 Chevy C20 for a 1989 F250 SC with a 351w/C6...trans "may" be bad as it was shifting into 3rd very late..but there were also a bunch of broken vacuum lines...so the jury is still out on that
PLUS I got 2 more trucks...A 1990 F350 CC dually 460/E4OD, and a 90/91 F350 cab/chassis with a 7.3(?) automagic.....
I want to pull the diesel from the C/C and put it into my 89 SC. I have seen threads regarding the one bolt hole for the engine perch on the frame....What about the wiring?
Also, this diesel had RUG put into the tanks by the PO and ran til it died...tanks were drained and refilled with diesel....he didnt feel it was the "same" since...What problems/damage could this have caused? What should I do be fore I attempt to start it?...Should I even consider this swap?
Now, what about my current fuel system? My 89 has a "Dual Function Reservoir"..but its gone and tanks are not hooked up to engine....Do I drop my tanks, remove the fuel pump and add a shower head? Then run new lines with manual valves?
Again, Thank You

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gasser mounts are to be cut /unbolted.
diesel frame plates are needed to make this a bolt in.
diesel radiator support is needed also.

gasser wiring contains computers, ETC. use the cab and chassis wiring,
make it simple and swap dashes.

RUG... at a minimum, i would replace the entire fuel system.
depending how deep you want to get into it, i would be pulling the heads while its out anyways.

i have converted from gasser to diesel. ive simply just swapped the diesel stuff into the gasser.
the tanks, you are correct. pull senders, delete fuel pump, extend and add shower head.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, this diesel had RUG put into the tanks by the PO and ran til it died...tanks were drained and refilled with diesel....he didnt feel it was the "same" since...What problems/damage could this have caused? What should I do be fore I attempt to start it?...Should I even consider this swap?
I guess your referring to the 89. The only thing that can be screwed up would be the IP, Injectors and GP's from running RUG thru it. Start it up and if it runs OK and has power, that would tell if the pistons and valves are OK. Other than that, you would have to pull the heads and inspect. If the RUG had a considerable amount of Diesel mixed with it, I wouldn't think much if any damage was done. The engine wouldn't have lasted very long running on a tank of pure RUG.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gas...u guys can just call it gasoline or petrol or gas....lmao...rug...who cares if it REGULAR UNLEADED GAS it is still gas....was it high octane gas....wait dont matter its GAS aviation 100/130 leaded....wait...is just GAS:rotflmao

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gas...u guys can just call it gasoline or petrol or gas....lmao...rug...who cares if it REGULAR UNLEADED GAS it is still gas....was it high octane gas....wait dont matter its GAS aviation 100/130 leaded....wait...is just GAS:rotflmao

:fart

manimal

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK...so "gas" it is..lol.

The PO says the diesel runs....but there arent any batteries to try it. I dont know how much it was drive after it had "GAS" ran through it, or how much diesel was in the tank mixed with "GAS"...

On the Diesel Cab/Chassis...are the frame rails narrower in the back like the older trucks? Reason I ask is for the rear fuel tank, will it work in a regular pick up?
I plan on using manual switching valves and a manual GP set up.
And Thanks again for the advice!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One good fully charged battery should start it, if the GP's are working. Start it and see how bad it rattles.

manimal

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok...so the F350 diesel made it to my house today via trailer....Turns out what we thought was a 91 is really an 87 with a 6.9 that looks NEW and has a C6! This should be an EASY swap....i hope

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
on the fuel system, if I were you I would run new lines front to back using the tubing of your choice. When a problem comes up, its so nice to know that you have a single run of line from the lift pump to the pickup, so you can rule out air getting in along the way. So many of us have dealt with old hacked together fuel systems, which introduce air into the system, and just makes things hard to troubleshoot when that day comes. just my two red cents.. :D

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok...so the F350 diesel made it to my house today via trailer....Turns out what we thought was a 91 is really an 87 with a 6.9 that looks NEW and has a C6! This should be an EASY swap....i hope

Swap easy...work not so much

Should be real straight forward though

One thing more to remember

It will now be a THROTTLE pedal NOT a gas pedal:rotflmao

manimal

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are pics of the engine...other than the dirt from sitting for a couple years, i seems to have either been very well maintained or rebuilt/new???

Attachments

• 6.9-1.jpg
    6.9-1.jpg
    796.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 6.9-2.jpg
    6.9-2.jpg
    629.7 KB · Views: 14

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does it turn over hy hqnd? Rusty air cleaner not good sign. Turn it over 4 x by hand 15/16 deep socket on crank bolt and long johnson bar should suffice.

Hate see ya pull it to find out wont turn over....dont use starter

manimal

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what I used to rotate it...rotates pretty nice...especially for a diesel!

Attachments

• ratchet.jpg
    ratchet.jpg
    923 KB · Views: 57

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks like the short wide rad that will bolt right into the gas core support. Atleast the old rad from my 86 bolted directly into my brothers 83 with a 351w and I was even able to stretch his hoses enough to go on. Needless to say his cooling problems ended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online