Suggestions for tow rig tire...

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had more than my fair share of trailer tire failure on my fifth wheel. My tow rig (the 6.9 SRW crew cab in my sig) is in need of new shoes. It hibernates through the winter in the shop so I don't need or care about snow or mud performance. I need a good set of tires that will hold up to miles of hauling duty without blowing up and trying to kill me or my favorite truck.

Run 285/75/16's on the truck now and that puts my camper level when hauling. So I want to stay in that size range.

Heath

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just about any brand Heath, except a Carlisle. I've repaired trailers with even blown Michelin tires. The trailer weight will determine what load range you will need. IIRC a Bias side tire is better than a Steel Radial tire on a trailer, side walls are more flexible and run cooler.

Edit: Reread your post, Not quite clear, you need truck tires or trailer?

I run Mastercraft tires on my F350 and all 3 my cars. Reasonable priced at $150 each.

Last edited:

rdoimages

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reasonably priced Firestone TransForce HT. Michelin LTX is a great 10 ply, a bit more expensive.

pafixitman

Reaction score
I ran BFG when I had mine. Got them at Sam's Club. Never any issues. I have seen a lot of trucks around here with the Firestone TransForce. 121 mile / 3.5 hour round trip commute gives me plenty of time to look at crap.
Michelin would always be my cost no object go to tire.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Edit: Reread your post, Not quite clear, you need truck tires or trailer?
Bill, I was complaining about my experience with ST tires on the camper there. But I was looking for a good set for the truck.
I have some Michelin XPS RIBS on the camper now and hope for better performance than I ever had out of explode-o-matic ST tires from several different companies/load ratings/ ect....

Reasonably priced Firestone TransForce HT. Michelin LTX is a great 10 ply, a bit more expensive.

Michelin would always be my cost no object go to tire.
I've been looking at and seeing good reviews of the Michelin LTX's. Don't mind paying $200+ a tire as long as I get what I'm paying for. LOL

Heath

rdoimages

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have pulled a 16' cargo trailer in excess of 30,000 miles in the last 5 years and my Pirelli Scorpions all terrains lasted 50k a set without regular balance and rotate. That being said, the Michelin LTX is as good as it gets I believe.

89 F-350 sc 2wd DRW 7.3 ATS 088, C-6 with Gear Vendor and a rats nest of wiring that was free with purchase.
00 Excursion limited, 6.8 4x4
2001 Jeep Cherokee Classic Sport 4x4 4.0 auto

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You want LT tires for a camper and your truck. LT means Light Truck, the sidewalls are made totally different. You always want to keep the air pressure in them as indicated. Low air pressure will make the sidewalls flex more and this creates heat.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I will also give a vote for the Firestone Transforce A/T's. I am on my second set, they do very well on the interstate, I run them on my Excursion, and they also do well in the snow and a bit of muck. My Dad has actually bought 2 sets also because of the performance I saw.

You must be registered for see images attach

This is my second set, and has over 28,000 miles on them in this picture. I will continue to buy them until the discontinue them......

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Those might be what my truck had on it when I got it. Tread looks familiar.
But they were bald as Bruce Willis' head, so hard to say. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a good tire shop here in town that a dealer for Michelins. Will give them a call.

Thanks gents.

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went with the Michelin LTX's.

They look nice and ride nice empty. Will see how they do when the fifth wheel is on the back of the truck.

Thanks again, gents.

Heath

Giddy-Up

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Firestone Transforce A/T, Cooper AT3, or Hankook RF10 or RT03 if you want more grip.
I personally run the Hankooks RF10, but I put all three on customers vehicles all the time and haven't had a complaint.