7.3 zf5 clutch problems

F2fiddy93

Reaction score
Hello everybody. I'm new to the forum and not really sure how to work it yet but I know you are all great and have a lot of very helpful info. I've had my truck for about 10 months and the po said that the clutch was 6 months old when I bought it. It was great until about 3 weeks ago. It started slipping under load if lugged AT ALL in gear. If I keep it in gear longer as to make the next gear easier on the clutch and tranny then it's better but sometimes still slips depending on how flat the road is or how hard I'm being on it. I know the throw out bearing is bad, I have to keep my foot barely on the pedal or it squeels. I don't know whether to convert to a single mass flywheel and do the whole shebang or to just do a throw out bearing and flywheel as it may still be stoked dmf and only disc and pressure plate is new. But won't know til I pull the tranny in the next couple weeks. Thanks for any input or advice.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Pull the inspection plate and try to move the clutch pressure plate and/or DMF from side to side. If it has 5/8" of play or more, so the SMF or "lucky mod" on the DMF and replace everything else. My throwout is brand new and would squeel until I barely touched the clutch pedal. Someone had screwed up and the bearing surface on the old one had ground into the clutch fork and scoured it (throwout would ride at an angle until light pressure was applied).

Another helpful hint, go to Settings (upper right of your web page) and check the links on the left hand side for Edit Signature. Put your trucks info in it for future help reference and welcome to the forum!