Please help me get this thing off my shaft!!!

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm having problems finding a bearing puller with jaws long enough to pull off the pressed on drive shaft carrier bearing. Any recommendations? I have attempted to rent the biggest one orileys has and it's still to damn short. I priced one at northern tool but it's way to high.
Can I possibly cut off the old one via grinding wheel as long as I'm cautious about scaring up the machined section where the bearing presses on?
I stopped by a local machanic today and he said he would charge me by the hour to press off the old and on the new but that's 85 dollars for ******** work and I'd rather not pay that.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sometimes you gotta bite the bullet.
85 bucks, i woulda handed him the cash and been done with it.
spending money sucks, but if you cant do it, whatcha gonna do?

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Cut the outer bearing off with a disc grinder and a cut off wheel. Remove everything down to inner race. Score the inner race 3/4 of the way through with grinder. Support the end of the shaft on 4x4 wood bock with a helper holding it. Strike the score mark with a large chisel and a 3-4 pound hammer. Inner race will split. Inner race will come off.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, you can cut the bearing off. Cut the outer race off and then be careful cutting the inner. Get close and then split it. I have done this in the past, but the puller is neater.

edit - Ironworker beat me to it!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:rotflmao no really :rotflmao I torch em off and Bob's yer uncle...seems to work every time too...

JM7.3CW

Last one was for a friends friend in a bad bind...he was a HD mech...never seen it done like that...said thats it from now on I am doing it like that;Sweet Showed him gooder

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
yes, you can cut the bearing off. Cut the outer race off and then be careful cutting the inner. Get close and then split it. I have done this in the past, but the puller is neater.

LOL
Does the spline have a blue teflon material on it? If it does is it intact? If it is not them you need a new end yoke and it has to go to driveshaft shop anyway to get new yoke put on.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ya but TORCH IS QUICKER GOODER

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a machine shop would do the score and beat thing too. much faster turnaround. i know. I used to work in a high pressure/high vol operation.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I have a harbor freight bearing puller set. Once I cut the rubber off it came off easily.

You must be registered for see images

The bearing slides right over the splines to.
Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
NAPA machine shops will normally charge about $30-$40 for a carrier bearing replacement. If none near you, HF bearing puller.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the harbor freight bearing puller too with some all thread extensions. To put it back on I used a piece of 12 or so 1 1/2 galvanized pipe with a cap threaded on. Fit perfectly.

Attachments

• 20160327_123619.jpg
    20160327_123619.jpg
    984.2 KB · Views: 116

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cut it off, beat it on with a tube that will fit the inner race, done many.
I used to have an anvil, lay it on , beat with hammer, outer race explodes off, beat inner, expands and slides right off, done hundreds of axle bearings too this way, 2 alonside the freeway.
Wear saftey glasses and gloves.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
I have a harbor freight bearing puller set. Once I cut the rubber off it came off easily.

You must be registered for see images

The bearing slides right over the splines to.
Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Thats the blue teflon material I was talking about. If it is not intact the yoke needs replacing.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The all thread is my idea too but... Please use a full face mask when using a hammer and chiesel. Nothing worse than metal in the eyes and you bet that race will break. Never install any bearing by the outer race either. It will press on just the same but the bearings will ruin the inner race. And just sure as Bob's you uncle you end up doing the job again very seen.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah i didnt realize i attached the pic without the all thread i used, i used some longer bolts first to pull the sleeve off