What about a day cruise to the national air and space museum ?

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Just checking interest. I know I'll go one day this summer regardless, but would any of you mid Atlantic folks be interested in a visit to the national air and space museum in Chantilly, VA?

Hours: 10:00 am to 5:30 pm
14390 Air and Space Museum Parkway Chantilly, Virginia 20151
Phone: 703-572-4118

http://airandspace.si.edu/visit/udvar-hazy-center/

If you've never been, you owe it to yourself to give it a look. This is technically the main museum, and the one downtown in DC hell is the annex.
So many cool air and space craft to see in one place. Its free to get in, and parking for the day is $15. The parking lot is huge and open, and I imagine you could even bring your camper if you wanted. (Though you may want to call and check on RV policy first, but there is plenty of room)
Could be fun to plan a day get together maybe this summer? There is more than you can possibly see in one day.

They have the Enola Gay, an SR-71, a Concorde, and the space shuttle Discovery, and so so many many many others.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

on edit, bringing day and time info to the top:

• July 30th. Meet at 12pm at the Wawa and or Chic-fila that is just on the other side of the highway from the museum.
  • wawa and chic-fila address is 3450 Historic Sully Way, Chantilly, VA 20151
  • (There is a cafeteria inside the museum, but the food is really overpriced for what it is). The wawa sells diesel at every pump, and the food is pretty good too. So some of us could get wawa food, and sneak it into the Chic-fila, and others can just get fila. So we meet up, have some eats, fuel up if needed, then head across the highway to the museum.
  • museum address is 14390 Air and Space Museum Parkway Chantilly, Virginia 20151
  • The museum closes 5:30 pm. I have a bunch of FRS radios that ill bring so we can keep tabs on one another. I'm sure we may end up seperated while we are in there, but as the day goes on, it would be good to make sure we all meet up in the parking lot whenever we decide so we can see everyone off. Possibly cruising to ice cream after.

Last edited:

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A great place to go and spend a day or two. I go to the rocketman shoot off in Manassas (or suburb) every May and usually try to get to the museum once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that would be awesome if i wasnt 2500+ miles away.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been there a couple times. Its a great visit. Love staring at the cutaway engines and stuff. And come on... you walk through the door and are greeted by the nose of an SR71 blackbird with a space shuttle in the background.... how cool is that. ;Sweet

I'm game if I can fit it in the schedule.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
@mu2bdriver @pafixitman @laserjock We should definitely put something together. Let's keep this on the back burner and see what would be a good day for people.

Maybe we could time it to meet up with Brian when he takes his 6 door on a coast to coast cruise! LOL @IDIoit Think of all the other projects you could find along the way and bring home Brian!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a couple other guys here pretty local. I'll see if I can tag them if that's okay with you Rob?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I might be interested. I will have to look up the distance but I might be able to make a camping weekend out of it.

Edit, looks like it's only a little over 2 hrs from me. That's doable

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
seems like there are enough of us to make this work. What month are people thinking?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I leave mid august so anything besides that and the Rally time I should be able to make work.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
august would work for us, before schools starts. vacation calander at work is still open for that month

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Maybe we could plan for early/ first weekend in August, and we can firm things up at the rally.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds good Rob. Hell, I might even have the truck on the road by then. :rolleyes:

Are you thinking a Saturday afternoon?

We should plan another Jimmy Cone event. I know you guys like to do that closer to Fall. Weather has been a little dicey so the turnouts at the local cruises have been pretty hit and miss so far. I haven't figured out yet which weekends they are on over there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01