OH, WOE IS ME - - - - - -

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Friends,

Some of you know that I'm addicted to antique (and mostly mechanical) diesel vehicles.

Currently, I have a 1986 F250 with the 6.9 liter IH, a 1986 Mercedes 300SDL & a 1982 Mercedes 300CD.

Last night here in The Alamo City, we had a HUGE wind & thunderstorm with BIG hail. Some of the hailstones in our area were the size of grapefruit & the smaller ones were the size of a quarter.

The bottom line is that BOTH of my Mercedes diesels were heavily damaged by the storm.
(The 1986 now has a rear window with an 8-inch hole, plus several large dents & the 300CD looks like someone beat it all over with a claw hammer.)

I suspect that my insurance company will total BOTH, which is BAD news inasmuch as I've done restorations on both, except for the paint jobs.
(I probably have about 6,000.oo in mechanical restorations in the 2 Mercedes cars combined, plus the 2300.oo that I paid for the pair as "projects".)

NOTE: My 1986 Ford was NOT damaged as it was in a friend's carport, where we are doing the mechanical maintenance on it.
(The roof of the carport was heavily damaged.)

Fwiw, my next-door neighbor's NEW Mercedes S-Class was totaled by the same hail/wind storm. = The State Farm appraiser came out, looked at the M-B for about 5 minutes & said, "Ma'am, you need to go find yourself a new car. We aren't even going to try to fix this one." - Then he got in his car & left.

yours, satx

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.9_Idi,

VERY TRUE.

I saw the poor lady from next door just standing there weeping, when she saw her totaled M-B.

Truthfully, I felt like doing the same, when I looked at my little coupe. = Steve & I have spent at least a 100 hours & over 1,000.oo in parts doing all the things that the elderly lady never did to it before her death.
(Believe it or not, she was still running the original tires on the coupe when she passed away. She also evidently never did the brakes either.)

Otoh, the body was mint (before the hailstorm) & there's not a speck of rust in the car.- I'd bet money that the insurance guy totals it so all that labor/parts is for naught.

THANKS for your kind comment.

yours, satx

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should talk to @towcat. He is the resident expert on dealing with insurance companies. I think mostly he has dealt with collisions but he may be able to shed some light.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Some people probably made out just fine! Example:

My parents bought 2 2015 Passats for about 7K below MSRP each. My sister got in a accident (not that bad, she was totally fine), and they totaled the car out. Since they have new car replacement, they gave my parents the full MSRP price. That little accident made them $7000!

Sorry about your MB's. You can always buy them back and use them as parts cars for other MB's or some other swaps.

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fwiw,

there are so many "torn up" cars/trucks/homes in SA that my insurance company says that it may be a week before my "time" comes up to see an adjuster.

yours, satx