THE GREEN BEAN!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, glad to finally sit down and make this thread, last weekend my father and I finally decided on a project truck. The piece was a 1963 Dodge D100 Power Wagon which I spotted just hours after being posted on craigslist. After a short discussion, we were on the road with our flatbed to make the 100 mile trip to pick up the old thing. The owner listed the truck for only $1000! It had a clean title, a fairly straight body, a D300 chassis (one ton) with a Chrysler 318 V8 that was all seized from sitting for 30 years. The truck is one of only 900 that were made with the 115" wheelbase and even more rare with the one ton chassis that was still period correct.

We were surprised to learn that Bob (the owner) was only the Second Owner! Intrigued by the vehicle's history we were told that the truck was owned by the Uvalde Texas game warden and was special ordered by the local government and later retired, where Bob came to own it. After hours of inspecting the truck and shooting the bull with an old man full of stories, we finally started to talk about the price. We barely started to bargain when Bob just told us he would cut the price in half for us and we could take it home. So here it is, our 1963 ultra rare Green Bean for only 500 bucks! A true barn find:

Here it is getting it home:
You must be registered for see images attach

Unloading view:

Ready to go hunting:

Myself on the left and my father Dan on the right:

Our plans are to rip out the 318 and the four speed and put a 7.3 idi in the truck with a zf5 behind it, however theres alot of work to be done before we make any major changes like that. Floor pans need to be replaced, wiring and plumbing will be all new, and most importantly rust needs to be stopped. Not to mention we haven't got a engine and tranny that runs to put in it...YET. Hope to have some fun with this build and share our experiences with ya'll, thanks for checking it out!

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are great old trucks, nice find.

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
I always think of the opening/Fetching the Christmas Tree scene of National Lampoons Christmas Vacation when I see one of those trucks

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im surprised she got so rusty.don't take this the wrong way,but with all your choices down there of solid,classic trucks,you went and found something we'd be stuck with for options up this way for a build lol.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are great old trucks, nice find.

Looking forward to this build. ;Sweet

That's gonna be real nice.

Thanks alot guys!

im surprised she got so rusty.don't take this the wrong way,but with all your choices down there of solid,classic trucks,you went and found something we'd be stuck with for options up this way for a build lol.

What rust? Where?! :rotflmao
The truck sat like I said for 30+ years, it had trash in the bed and rat crap in the cab, was pretty far from the coast but was next to river and in the rain... its much happier in the shade in our shop, along with it being true we don't struggle with rust like the folks north of us, the classic trucks and even 90s trucks are just outrageously priced which is another aspect that makes this truck that much cooler, its not gonna be a show truck, its not gonna be safe but its gonna be a hell of alot of fun;Sweet

I always think of the opening/Fetching the Christmas Tree scene of National Lampoons Christmas Vacation when I see one of those trucks

I'm glad I'm not the only one LOL

Well today is picture day since most the family is out of town and I don't want to make too much progress without them. I bought a bunch of pb blaster and sprayed all the lug nuts and various hinges that needed lubrication, didnt want to break an axle stud when we pull the tires off and didnt want to break the hood hinges when we took the hood off, ask me how I know this...

Peep under the hood:

Front Hub:

Tailgate rust (weight reduction)

Inside the cab: (windows still roll up and down :D)

Passenger side floor:

Factory space heater?!

Factory Air Temperature gauge still works :hail

This little driveshaft that goes from the tranny to the tc is gonna be the key to an easy swap, we will have a custom one built then the rest of the driveshafts and hangers wont have to be changed ;Sweet

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More weight reduction:

PO installed flowmaster glasscracks ages ago, you can see the rear dif:

We will be cleaning the entire cab out next, hopefully tomorrow! Thanks for checking us out ;Sweet

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a Ford guy, but there is something I like a lot about the old Dodges. They have a look very distinct from Chevy or Ford. I occasionally see the same vintage Chevy and Fords, but I very rarely see anything that old from the Dodge Bros. in this neck of the woods.

Go advance when posting pics I can't see them.

X2

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do a google search for "Dustless Blasting" while you are planning your body restore, or for that matter, the frame also..

Does a truly wonderful job on tired paint and sheet metal without distortion of the metal and leaves a near perfect surface to take paint..

Or.. go here and click on the videos to see it in action.. http://www.dustlessblasting.com/

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a Ford guy, but there is something I like a lot about the old Dodges. They have a look very distinct from Chevy or Ford. I occasionally see the same vintage Chevy and Fords, but I very rarely see anything that old from the Dodge Bros. in this neck of the woods.

X2

Same here! I've owned a few trucks (one chevy two fords) and I am a sworn ford guy but this dodge is cool! So the pictures didnt work because our little office got hit by lighting and killed our modem and router and computer as I was uploading the pictures :dunno I'll reupload the pics along with some new ones from some resent work.

Do a google search for "Dustless Blasting" while you are planning your body restore, or for that matter, the frame also..

Does a truly wonderful job on tired paint and sheet metal without distortion of the metal and leaves a near perfect surface to take paint..

Or.. go here and click on the videos to see it in action.. http://www.dustlessblasting.com/

Thanks for the info, I think with this project we are gonna keep the paint the way it is beacuse it looks so great in person, which makes even more work to do in the long run with killing the rust. We will probably coat the chassis although it really doesnt need it.

We dont plan to make this truck "nice" we plan to make it run reliably and be really really fun, with just a pinch of scary. We have other projects like my 82 f250 and my dad's 43 deuce and a half chevy that we want to make "nice" which is why they have sat and havent been touched in over a decade. This project is just something we've wanted to do for a long time- make a scary street legal truck that is monster offroad while not being a typical bronco or jeep project, along with all the mopar guys that are offended by the fact we are putting a 7.3 in a dodge truck but I'm happy to do it! ;Sweet

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok here's our missing pics from earlier post:

Peep under the hood:

Front Hub:

Tailgate rust (weight reduction)

Inside the cab: (windows still roll up and down!)

Passenger side floor:

Factory space heater?!

Factory Air Temperature gauge still works

This little driveshaft that goes from the tranny to the tc is gonna be the key to an easy swap, we will have a custom one built then the rest of the driveshafts and hangers wont have to be changed

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More weight reduction:

PO installed flowmaster glasscracks ages ago, you can see the rear dif:

Yesterday's progress while it stormed: got the radiator out (anyone want it LOL) and the battery. Got all the wiring plumbing and shifters disconnected in preparation for pulling the trans and engine out together, also got the first drive-shaft past the trans and before the tc.

Radiator:

measured the brace theres room for a 30" rad ;Sweet

Much more room for pulling the engine now not to mention a big ol idi!

Pretty much all the prep for getting the engine and trans is out, just got to cut the exhaust and pull the shifter out from the cab.

Was thinking about it and this truck is only going to have a water pump and altenator for front accesories... would really like to get a dyno in after I bump up the pump make an intake and do the exhaust, would be cool to get close to 200 hp N/A :dunno

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online