ok who has had this happen before?

Ilovejunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
about 3 weeks ago customer brings in a sick 6.0 with bad injectors ( failed buzz test, swapped known good ficm still failed). so took it apart, swapped injectors, get it running again and send it on its way.

then 2 days ago, get a call trucks skipping again, no power, says he'll bring in next morning and drop off so i can look it over, then first thing yesterday morning get a frantic call at the shop, truck made a LOUD rattling noise, ran about a half a block and then crapped out in the middle of a busy intersection.

so i lock the shop down and run into town with my solus to see if i can help him. get there push truck into parkin lot, hook up scan tool, see injector contribution failure code for #8, (replaced 3 weeks ago) try cranking while looking at data stream, see no high pressure oil i.e. 0 psi. even after extended cranking.

so get it towed back to shop, put shop air on high pressure oil system, distinct leak at rear of driverside head, figure i crapped an o-ring on injector install, told customer i'd make it right and start tearin back into it, get it opened up, pulled oil rail off and half the #8 injector came up with the oil rail, holy christ thats not right!!!!!!.

fished all the pieces outta the head, and put a new injector in and all seems fine now, but how does this type of failure happen, never seen one do this before. pics below.

thoughts please.

You must be registered for see images attach

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Whoever rebuilt those injectors over torqued them on reassembly.
Where did you get them?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Ilovejunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
remanufactured by company outta tennessee, dont wanna put names out there just yet, wanna give em a chance to make it right before i blast someone for crap parts.

customer was tryin to save money versus buying from ford. figured i would work with him, try an help the guy out even though i did feel a bit uneasy about it, and i did caution him about the odds with some of the refurbished injector horror stories i have heard about.

i did insist on one from the local ford dealer to replace it, and soon as he gets the money together the other " remanufactured" ones are coming out too.

Last edited:

Ilovejunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am simply amazed that neither of those screws made in through a oil drain or under a valve spring,.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Just throwing it out there, if they came from diesel crap performance, pull every one of them and throw them in the trash where they belong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI, i did not heed Jaspers recommendation on getting my junk diesel care injectors out of my 7.3 SD
ended up screwin the engine up.

cheap isnt good and good isnt cheap;Sweet

Ilovejunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah its diesel care junk, truck laid up again already, showing same symptoms. ********* parts comin out tomorrow morning. i know cheap parts always seem to bite you in the ass. thats why i have been puttin of the injection pump replacement on my idi until i can afford a moose pump, cause i aint puttin no ebay special on my truck.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Cheap and 6.0L are like water and gasoline. They never go good together. LOL

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Truer words were never spoken, in the truck world!

Dave