Front axle disengagment 2005 3500 Ram 4x4

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I found a really good buy on a 05 Ram 3500 4x4. Rad was punctured in a logging accident. Someone towed it from the rear with the front wheels on the ground for about 10 miles, (under 20mph). With the trans in neutral and t-case selected to 2WD. He says it doesn't hurt them. Should I be concerned about T-case problems? I realize these front axles spin when in 2wd but not sure if the driveshafts do also...Im and old Ford idi guy so im not kept up on the new 4WD systems. I cant really test drive it without the rad holding any coolant at all. Any input would be great.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The older dodges used a Center Axle Disconnect so that it would disconnect the front end when not in 4x4. Looks like the 2005's have it also from a quick search. It's mounted on the passenger side axle tube and has vacuum lines and crap going to it. It's a vacuum diaphram that moves a sleeve. So assuming that's working I would assume it wasn't spinning the front axle.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Nice to hear, thanks. I will also research the Center Axle Disconnect to learn about them. Looks like I will be getting my hands on an 05 for $500! It will need a rad, trans cooler and a/c but theres a few of these trucks in the wrecking yard so I should be able to put something together.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
From what im reading on the Google, it seems as if Dodge phased out the Center Axle Disconnect around 2002..

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry man, I did a quick look and thought they continued into at least 2005.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, from what I understand of the "Non-Ford" 4wd systems......

Both the GM and Dodge (Wither a pickup, or a flavor of Jeep) If the axle is equipped with the center disconnect, it ONLY disconnects the Passenger side axle/wheel. The drivers side has a short axle from the wheel to the differential that has NO DISCONNECT. So the front driveline is always turning even if the transfer case is in 2wd and the disconnect is in the "off" position.

On a Ford (3/4 Ton - up, 150's aren't this way), there are lockouts in the hubs, so as long as the lockouts are in the unlock/free position, the only thing turning is the hub and bearings, the rest of the driveline is not moving.... (This is one reason a 4x4 Ford gets a bit better mileage than the other companies, because they are not "pushing" the front driveline all the time.....

I asked a buddy who does a lot of 4x4 work and he doesn't think there should be any issues, since it was in 2wd, the front drive shaft was just spinning in the case.... He also said, if there is any issues, that case isn't all that difficult to rebuild.....

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Thank you very much for fellas. Just started the truck for 30 seconds and drove it back and forth and it seems to be fine. So I bought it!! Shes a little rough but the price is right!
Yeah Im not sold on the front end spinning all the time like some of these new rigs do...but...it is what it is I guess.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
For the year, I think you got a good price. I believe that's the HO 5.9? Wait is it even the Cummins?
Post some pics.
Oh yeah, I want to say you can convert it to hubs, but I haven't researched the Dodge stuff in awhile.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Yeah its the 5.9, maybe an H.O...? Automagic trans. I don't have any pics at the moment but I will get some up. Next on the list is a new camera, as mine ended up in a creek. Lots of bumps and bruises on the truck, and some rust around the wheel wells already. Damn salt.....

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I don't know the difference exactly, but I'm pretty sure thats the high output.
Check the balljoints. Good luck if you have to change them. Lol hardest ones I've ever done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk