Gas used in 6.5TD!! Need opinions, recommendations etc...

CONGA1991

Reaction score
Okay, so I just bought a 1994 GMC K2500 with the 6.5 TD, 150k miles, 4l80e 4x4 in it. Purchased for $750 and was towed for me. Not that *** of a deal, I guess. Just wanted a semi-slow project to have, money and time isn't a huge issue, . The owner somehow, accidentally, put gasoline in it. He says the motor is seized but didn't go to much into further detail, like how long it ran until it decided to die. if it was parked or driving then seized.

I plan on puling the engine out, disassemble, clean, blueprint it... and depending on how that goes, if everything is within specification, assemble with a small rebuild kit. I'm keeping it stock as possible unless there are some things I can delete or relocate to reduce heat/wear&tear.

if its out of specification, of course I plan on doing a rebuild.

I guess my question is, besides checking out the block myself,

what other components should be considered to check for operation/wear&tear? Especially after having GASOLINE ran through it, Fuel tank will be drained of all fluids and will let it dry out. Fuel filter replacement.

Turbo condition?

Would the Injection Pump need rebuild or just replace? Fuel lines? and any other fuel related components? injectors? etc..

Consider relocating or even deleting components such as; PMD relocation. possible EGR component deleting?

I will be a thorough inspection on the cooling inspection as well as adding a Coolant filter to the system.

High volume/ High flow Oil pump will be installed.

Any and all suggestions/opinions/2cents is greatly appreciated!!

I'm having it put in storage until I can pick it up but will be saving up money in the meantime.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would have the pump and injectors looked at.
You can get ahold of Mel at Conestoga diesel. He's a member here. @Agnem

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gasoline alone will not seize a diesel, but it can seize the head and rotor in a pump, which will snap the input shaft. I suppose it is possible (but unlikely) that the shaft did not snap, in which case it could appear that the engine is seized. Remove the pump to be sure. The pump will be junk.

CONGA1991

Reaction score
Are you referring to the input shaft on the transmission? Or another component with a input shaft? What about the rotor in the pump? Are you referring to the fuel injecton pump.? I'll definitely be replacing the fuel injection pump, injectors and filter, like I stated in the first post.

Also, would it be recommended to tear it apart, clean and maybe blue print?

I've been told not to worry about tearing it apart and cleaning it,, just replace those components, prime the engine and fill er up with diesel.

Just like to hear others opinion/suggestions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online