WMO generator question...newbie

The Badness

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum. I have a question, I'm brand new to the WMO oil thing, but I love the idea. What are the best diesel generators best suited to running straight WMO? It would be centrifuge cleaned before use. I would imagine it would probably be an older model?

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
Welcome! You wouldn't necessarily need to get an older engine, but you would want something that is mechanically injected instead of common rail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Badness

Reaction score
And by mechanically injected, what do you mean? I'm brand new to diesels let alone WMO. Their mechanics are a bit different than what I'm used to working on

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
Thanks! And I assume that's to better cope with the thicker fuel?

Yes. There's definitely more to it than that, but basically, yes.

And by mechanically injected, what do you mean? I'm brand new to diesels let alone WMO. Their mechanics are a bit different than what I'm used to working on

Mechanically injected usually means indirect injection. There is a gear driven pump which moves fuel to the injectors via steel injector lines. The pressure builds up enough, it collapses an injector spring and runs fuel past the nozzle and sprays on a pre-cup. The fuel is heated and further vaporized after bouncing off the pre-cup and the vapor flows into the chamber to be burned. The only electronics really needed are the starter and the fuel shutoff.

This is very different from today's diesels which are injected at insanely high pressures directly into the combustion chambers via electric pumps and injectors.

IDI (mechanical) diesels will be easier to find in the 80's-90's era, but we just bought a brand new Perkins power unit for a generator at work. It's an IDI, so the age thing is kind of a myth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larrymac