194 LED Top of cab lights

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had one of my cab lights go out and had a 194 bulb on hand. Another went out and I don't feel like making this a weekly replacement. Has anyone tried 194 LED lights up there? Does anyone know what else those bulbs are used for, i.e. license plates, markers, etc.
Thanks in advance.

ETA: 1991 F250

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Depending on model, I believe the high mount and dome light are the same, oh also the side marker in the headlight assembly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's supposed to say less load. I can't seem to edit it

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://youtu.be/OSTzRaJ_ctA

I converted every light on my f150 to LEDs and got all of them off amazon. Just get ones that are at least 10smd or more on them and make sure they don't say dim or fade color. Warm color usually indicates bright.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I remember reading this once (it was on the internet, so........)

One recommendation I saw when converting to LED's to get the LED in the "same color" as the housing it's going into. So in an amber marker, get an amber/yellow one. In a red stop/turn/tail, get a red light. Since the colored lens is a "filter" so to speak, if you get the same color, the filter will pass "all" the light emitted by the LED. If you get a "white" one, the lens only passes the red light from the LED and blocks the rest. You are supposed to get more usable light from the same brightness of bulb........

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I converted every light on my f150 to LEDs and got all of them off amazon. Just get ones that are at least 10smd or more on them and make sure they don't say dim or fade color. Warm color usually indicates bright.

Did you change the turn signal relay with the turn signal lights?
I've heard people complaining about the hyper flashing turn signals.
Yours looks really good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember reading this once (it was on the internet, so........)

One recommendation I saw when converting to LED's to get the LED in the "same color" as the housing it's going into. So in an amber marker, get an amber/yellow one. In a red stop/turn/tail, get a red light. Since the colored lens is a "filter" so to speak, if you get the same color, the filter will pass "all" the light emitted by the LED. If you get a "white" one, the lens only passes the red light from the LED and blocks the rest. You are supposed to get more usable light from the same brightness of bulb........

This is 100% true. The only possible caveat is the output ratings. This is why we measure output in lumens now instead of watts. LED's are single color or multicolor on a single chip. Anything not the same color as the lens is wasted.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine actually quit flashing at all with the factory relay, I got a led relay flasher at autozone for ten bucks and it worked perfectly without having to add resistors or anything strange.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like I got a project on my hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Watch out for some of the LED bulbs though. I had the LED tail light bulbs from autozone in another vehicle of mine ('97 Toyota 4Runner) and they fried, bad. I didn't notice it until I lost my converter lockup. Then started noticing things like every light on the vehicle that would come on with the running lights would come on when I hit the brakes, and go off when I released. Also didn't have brake lights when headlights were on. Upon removal, bulbs had all but caught on fire. I'll stick with my halogens.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

While snicklas is 100% right with the color of the led matching what type of lenses you are trying to pass the light through there is one other factor to keep in mind. The original bulbs in your cab lights will be what we'll use for an example cause it's what I have the best example picture of above on my 250 gasser on the left above and 150 gasser on the right from the video I posted.

The original bulbs in all of these things are halogen, so there a "yellow white" like 3500k color temp. If you replace it with something similar color temp like a "warm yellow", then you will more likely get the same shade of color output. Brightness will just depend on the quality of the bulb mostly.

If you replace the bulbs with an "Amber" bulb then the color is going to be darker as its a darker shade of light then the original bulb was. For example look at my 250 on the left in that picture, not that it looks bad or anything but they are way less bright and a darker shade. Same bulbs same manufacturer, just ordered one set of 20 as Amber and one set as warm yellow to see what I liked better and ended up putting the Amber on the black truck and warm yellow on the brown 150.

Just some random food for thought. Obviously the crap phone camera jacks up the example some, neither are quite that blindingly bright in person but you can tell the difference at least haha.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I see what you are saying....

The cab top lights and the "chicken lights" on the running boards are much brighter (as seen by the "flair" in the pics) than the same lights on the truck on the left........

I like the brightness of the truck on the right....... the more light the better, but that doesn't mean you will be seen...... you wouldn't believe how invisible a bright red fire truck with the lights flashing and sirens SCREAMING really is...........

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score

Like I said, every light on mine was led. I installed an electronic flasher to get the signals to work correctly
Got all mine from superbrightleds.com

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you guys who have all LEDs notice less draw on your alternator or any other indication that they're drawing less power than traditional bulbs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk