Is egt gauge needed on an NA 7.3 idi?

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is used for daily transport to work and back and never has to work so to speak. I see that some of you guys that aren't running boost still have egt readouts that is why I ask.

A48WillyzGuy

Reaction score
I highly recommend it. I put one on about 3 months after purchasing my truck and discovered that it would hit 1300+ degrees while cruising at 60 mph.

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what do you do if it gets high temp like that at just 60 mph? what's the point in driving it then if you have to worry about doing 60 mph. I'm not trying to be a smart ass I'm just asking. I drive 65-70 mph 600 miles a week. I mean what is a person supposed to do about that slow down to 45 mph? It doesn't seem practicle at all.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I highly recommend it. I put one on about 3 months after purchasing my truck and discovered that it would hit 1300+ degrees while cruising at 60 mph.

Something is wrong with your engine or egt gauge if you are hitting those temps cruising @ 60 mph. Simple as that

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How quickly you GET to 60-70 is the key.
If you hot-rod it to get moving, the EGT's build quickly, and drop only slowly after that
with sustained speed. Drive like a grannie, not a kid. :)
The temps will get astronomical if you nail it at speed or under a load.
Get a gauge. You will see what I mean.
I drive by the EGT's - it is not a big problem. It is also not how I normally drive. :)
Treat it well, and the long life will be there.

gandalf

Reaction score
So what do you do if it gets high temp like that at just 60 mph? what's the point in driving it then if you have to worry about doing 60 mph. I'm not trying to be a smart ass I'm just asking. I drive 65-70 mph 600 miles a week. I mean what is a person supposed to do about that slow down to 45 mph? It doesn't seem practicle at all.

I think that if you hit 1300 degrees driving at 65mph, straight and level, then you should probably adjust your IP. There is a problem. You might be able to do it going up a long and a steep grade, but you'd be pouring out some serious exhaust.

I can run my truck, with that big mother cabover camper, at 65 mph, level road, and cruise at ~450-500 degrees.

I have a pyrometer on my truck for two reasons: 1)I already owned the pyro, just had to transfer it from one truck to another, and 2)it's a safety feature. I have hit 1150 degrees EGT pushing up a long hill. I wanted to see how much it would take.

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate getting a pyro. It's a lot cheaper than a new engine.

A48WillyzGuy

Reaction score
Yes, there was definitely something wrong with my truck when I got it. That isn't the point of this thread. It seemed to be running fine, but the EGT's were obviously completely out of whack... That's my point. Again, I highly recommend a pyro. YMMV

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes... a pyrometer is important.

With a 30yr old truck, you have no idea what has been done to the pump, injectors, or their state of tune. As the pump wears, timing retards which will cause EGTs to skyrocket and can potentially cause serious issues.

A pyro is a VERY important tool and well worth the coin and time to install.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yeah, fairly important.
I'll admit that I don't have one in my powerstroke, but I do need one. Although I don't have much done to it(chip, smaller exhaust housing for mowah booooost, intake and exhaust), I'm sure it gets a little up there on hard freeway runs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Black dawg

Reaction score
On a stock, non turbo, non tower I personally would never give it a second thought. I guess if I wanted to turn the pump up then i would put one in, but otherwise no.

It can help you learn to get better mpg though, by being able to see how hard you are working it.