Hole in radiator and its snowing, I only know of two options here, please help

joetennistreecare

Reaction score
I broke my radiator drain valve off yesterday trying to flush coolant. Part of it is still stuck in there. The hole is big enough that all the fluid leaks out somewhat quickly. It got dark so I came inside and left it overnight with the hole because it wasn't that cold yesterday. Today I go out there and its snowing and the weather says its going to get below freezing. I plugged the hole with a bolt with pipe dope on it and gasket maker. Now I have the option to wait 24 hrs for the gasket to set before filling the radiator with coolant and water or doing it now. I have the block heater plugged in and was wondering if anyone knew if that would keep the cooling system from freezing until tomorrow morning. I had already flushed once before the valve broke so its probably mostly distilled water in there. Please let me know if you have any good ideas for me. Thanks.

kcconfq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a vaccume cap that will fit over it plug it off and use a vaccume bleeder to fill the system with a gal of non diluted then the rest at the ratio you want. If you can get your hands on one it should help your freezing concerns.

joetennistreecare

Reaction score
It's broke off level so its only a hole with the threads stuck in. I got it to hold a full radiator with only a barely noticeable leak so that should tide me over until the freezing weathers done. Thanks man.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.