New guy from NE Georgia

Christopher

Reaction score
Good morning all!

I have been "lurking" and joined after buying an '86 F250 for a 4x4 project. All of my current diesel vehicles are new enough that I am only performing routine maintenance, but the recent purchase will get me and the kids elbows deep in the fun stuff. My son is 5 and my daughter is 7; they both enjoy turning bolts on whatever daddy is working on, so this will be a good way to keep me and the kids "out of trouble"; hopefully have a unique "hunt'n truck" when we are through.

The '86 F250 was bought via a junk yard for the engine, chassis and 4x4 bits; I was promised "it runs and will drive" but needs a head gasket... That is what $650 gets; we shall soon see if the story is true! Once the '86 Ford cab comes off and the mechanical bits are freshened up, the "plan" is to fit a rust free 1965 F350 cab to its rails and fabricate a proper flatbed. Originally, we were going to re-fit the old '65 F350 with 4x4 running gear and a Cummins, but the hassle of merging all the driveline and 4x4 bits led down the "donor truck" path. Should more torque and better freeway performance be needed, I already have a Cummins-equipped 2008 Ram 3500 that I use for business related hauling.

Cheers all!

Christopher

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Christopher. Welcome to the forum. Where in NE GA are you? I'm right off 575 in Kennesaw/Marietta. You are in the right place fo sho!
I've been a an idi owner since Oct, this site has SO much important info AND the right people to help you understand it.

Good Luck!

pafixitman

Reaction score
I leave the state and you guys show up! Used to be a member called Trapper that lived over near Rome or there about. I was in ******* (late 2009 - spring 2013) - 1/2 mile from Billy Howell Ford when I lived there.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hi Chris.welcome to OBN,brother.
a '65 f350 4wd idi truck platform build with the kids! man card approved!good luck!
oops i might of misread that a bit.the '86 might not be a 4wd? well that's ok though if so,a '65 idi will still be freaking cool.:D

Christopher

Reaction score
Thanks folks,

I live in Clermont, which is North of Gainesville. The "donor chassis" is indeed 4x4 and if I can figure out how to attach pictures, I will add them.

Christopher

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, i forgot to mention that. Awesome project. My 4 y/o loves the truck and wants to see what i'm up to, but is not much of an actual help yet. She always wants to smell my hands after I come in from working on the truck just to tell me that they smell disgusting.
Thanks Honey!