Dodge ram v10's good or bad?

Ethanlogan99

Reaction score
:dunno I have looked at some 2nd gen ram 2500's. I would love to have a diesel, but that is money I don't have :cry:. I have looked at some 5.9 mags and the v10's. Anyways how good are the v10's? I know gas mileage would suck, but are the parts expensive and is the motor reliable? Should I go with one or look for a 5.9 mag or a ford v10?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I've been around the 5.9's a bit. None really had any problems related to the engine, just the trans. I can't even imagine how bad it would be with the torque of a v10.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are going to do ANY towing with a Dodge of that era, get a handshaker!!!!!!!! If is says P RNDL on the dash RUN!!!!

I had a 2000 Durango with the 5.9 V8 and auto transmission that I pulled a smaller Travel Trailer with ~4000lbs. The trailer was well within the factory limits for towing. It had a tow package with a transmission cooler, hitch and wiring from the factory. The 5.9 had plenty of power to pull with, but it took less than a season and a half to kill the transmission. $1400 later and I was back on the road. Fortunately, it failed when we had gotten back from a trip to Central Kentucky. I was taking the camper back to where I stored it and it wouldn't shift out of second. Dropped it off, drove back home and took it in and the clutches had come apart.....

One thing to remember with a Dodge, they are known for POWER not FUEL ECONOMY. My Durango was 4x4, with the 360 5.9L V8 and auto transmission on an empty mixed commute (I drive ~30 one way to work, most is at 55+ with both ends being in town) was 12-13MPG if I was lucky..... towing it dropped to single digits...... My worst trip was coming back from a mini-rally. It was in Northeast Indiana and I live in Central Indiana (Near Indianapolis). I was running late, and was hot-footing it back home on Sunday Evening.... I filled up in Angola, Indiana and headed South on I-69. I was in 3rd gear (OD OFF) and bucking a pretty good head wind (15-20 MPH sustained) and was running 65-70 MPH on the way back (normally the truck was more comfortable at 55-60, and I usually stayed off the Interstates (Just personal preference with this rig). I drove South on I-69 to my exit at State Road 9 in the Anderson, Indiana area. As I got close to Anderson, the gas light came on for low fuel (~1/8 tank). So I got gas when I exited. The traveled distance? 126 MILES!!!!!!!! It had a 25 gallon tank........ so I'll let you do the math...... it still depresses me to this day........

Just to compare, same trailer, Excursion listed below..... Towing on the Interstates at posted speed (didn't hesitate to tow on the Interstate with the Excursion) with the air on and the cruise set I would get 12-15 TOWING..... I've gotten 20+ empty on a long Interstate trip..........

Ethanlogan99

Reaction score
Ok. My dad had a 5.9 mag and it was a great motor...just sucked on gas. I was just curious how much worse the v10 was.

pafixitman

Reaction score
I agree with Scott on most. Can't speak of the V10, but my Grand Cherokee has the 5.9 (one year only option). When I got the truck (my sister was second and main owner) it had about 155K. It has 189K now. Running premium fuel I managed to get it up to 16 with out AC. Regular fuel and she pinged. My commute was 122 miles round trip. I bought a used Hyundai Elantra and payment + fuel + insurance and my budget has not changed. I was spending $175 a week on gas with the Jeep. I have done minor towing with it and have no issues with the automatic trans. Now my viscous couple is shot in the t-case so I have the binding because it is in a 50/50 4WD split all of the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnlx

Members online