Is a 6.5 diesel good for a young driver?

Ethanlogan99

Reaction score
Well I get my license in a month. I originally posted in the ford threads about buying a 93 460 or a 92 7.3 idi. Both of those trucks are not good options at the moment because the 460 has 247k miles on it, and the guy who had the 7.3 took the add off craigslist before I got to him...:cry:. I have continued looking for other options. I recently stumbled across the 6.5's. I like the 90's Chevys, especially the crew cabs. The 6.5's are really cheap parts wise, and the are capable of excellent mpg's, but people say the only thing they are good for is a boat anchor. Others say they're great motors. The main issue I have hear about is the injection pump. Is this a good vehicle for a 16 year old that makes 350$ a month?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yup. Imo, equal to the Ford 6.9/7.3.
Kinda depends on the year, some have fixable issues stock. Get good mileage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Nope Lots of problems ie internals they snap cranks like crazy
You will be pulling that 6.5 for some engine related problem imo
if you really want a dependable truck looks for a cummins are IDI even a OBS PSD.

Ethanlogan99

Reaction score
Nope Lots of problems ie internals they snap cranks like crazy
You will be pulling that 6.5 for some engine related problem imo
if you really want a dependable truck looks for a cummins are IDI even a OBS PSD.

I wish I could afford an obs powerstroke, or a 12 valve cummins. I might be able to, but I'm not sure I would have enough money to set back for a new vehicle. Honestly my dad has his own boat company, and they used to build diesel motors for boats. They built 6.5's. He said the only problem they ever had was with the injection pump.

Ethanlogan99

Reaction score
Yup. Imo, equal to the Ford 6.9/7.3.
Kinda depends on the year, some have fixable issues stock. Get good mileage.

Which years are best? The mechanical ones would be easier to work on, but the later electronic ones would be able to bring more power out easier.

The_88_lariat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So a 7.3 idi engine is an international engine and is a diesel designed engine a 6.2 or 6.5 are basically big block chevys with diesel injectors. Internals fail and they pretty much suck IMO. i went through the same thing, i wanted a 6.2 or a 6.5 because my first truck was a chevy 1500 with a 350 and loved it so i wanted the same truck baiclly but with a diesel engine powering it and was talked out of it. As far as the craigslist thing goes once it was sent in stone that i wanted a 7.3 idi it took me 3 months to find my truck. All the trucks either were trashed or they were trashed and wanted 6500 + for them, So i waited and waited and waited and finally the perfect truck showed up and i bought here and now shes mine.

long story short dont buy a 6.2 or a 6.5 wait for the perfect 7.3 or 6.9
You must be registered for see images attach

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
^The hell if it is. Do a little research before going off word of mouth.
They snap cranks when A: idiots treat it like a cummins. B: your just a idiot in general.

Any year is fine really. You come up with a year, and I can tell you what to do with it. I would go for the electronic ds4 version, for tuning simplicity.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Umm No they suck
I haven't owned a 6.2-6.5 diesel but I've seen the failures. I'm sorry but a new truck straight from dealer 75K later snapped Crank is unacceptable to me. I know one guy that his snapped a crank got a new crate engine from Chevy 10K later same thing. Op do a search on the 6.5s and after reading/seeing the failures etc then decide if you want that headache. You say your 16 so that probably l means you still live with your parents so you have the opportunity to save some cash.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I can show you many many people with no problems even close to that.
You have to replace a bad harmonic balancer or it becomes a problem.

Ethanlogan99

Reaction score
^The hell if it is. Do a little research before going off word of mouth.
They snap cranks when A: idiots treat it like a cummins. B: your just a idiot in general.

Any year is fine really. You come up with a year, and I can tell you what to do with it. I would go for the electronic ds4 version, for tuning simplicity.

What year does the electronic ds4 range from? 95 to 2000? If so probably one of those, although I did see a 93 6.5 that was in good shape. I'd probably keep looking for a 95-2000 though.

Ethanlogan99

Reaction score
I thought about looking for an obs 7.3 powerstroke or a 12 valve, but the 7.3 re-manufactured injectors are $185 a pop! And there's other things that cost $$. I though about a 1st gen 12 valve, but still stuff cost $$. I'm afraid if I went with one of those 2 I'd not be able to save much money for another vehicle in the future.