F550 GVWR question

QuercusRubra

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the difference exactly is between an F550 with 17500 gvw and an f550 with 19000.

Just wondering if it's something I can upgrade.

Thanks in advance

If there is a better place for me to post this question, please let me know.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
F550's are a commercial truck so they were built to order to what the customer wanted usually. There are different chassis lengths, engine, and cab conigurations and since your only talking about a difference of 1500# there is probably not much difference in the truck itself. If your trying to tag it for a higher weight your pretty much stuck with whats on the door sticker.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
iirc the difference is in how the rear axle is spec'd. check the door sticker.
pay attention to the rear axle weight rating.

QuercusRubra

Reaction score
Gotcha.

I have yet to research this, but it's sounding like it may be the switch from Dana 135 to Dana 110 in the back.

If so, that axle isn't cheap, but if swapped, I don't think it would be hard to get the GVWR recertified. Using know parts for a known application, it's already engineered.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Doesn't exactly work like that. Lol
Door sticker is what's important. Even though you can already tow that weight + some, it still wouldn't be legal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

QuercusRubra

Reaction score
Can you explain why not? I realize that someone has to certify the upgrade and get the door sticker amended. But I don't see why this would be any harder than adding an axle to a truck, or the upfitting of an f350 to handle the weight of a fire fighting body. I've seen it done.

I actually spoke to the dot a few weeks ago and he explained what I'm up against. If I'm pulled over and scaled, I'm first liable for being over my registered weight, but the dmv does that care what I register the truck for, so that takes care of that problem. It's simply a taxation issue.
Then I am liable for being over weight on the tires and axles. He did not say anything about the door sticker. If I show him I'm good for the weight, then I'm good to go.
He said the only other problem I have is if I do something the truck wasn't made for and get involved in an accident I could end up liable for making the accident worse than it would have been by overloading some component. This was said specifically in regard to my trailer tongue and hitch if I have a legal load on the trailer axles, but the overall load of the trailer exceeds it's GVW. Or with regard to the frame of my f350 if I put a Dana 135 rear end on it and load the truck accordingly. But none of that is hard and fast, nor the concern of the dmv when they weigh me.
But if I'm simply adding what was optional equipment on the f550, I think it's going to be fine.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see what your saying. I didn't realize there were 2 axles available. I don't know what your planning to do but here we have a lot of hot shots hauling cars out of Toledo and I have never seen one pulled over.

QuercusRubra

Reaction score
I'm an arborist, so I'm hauling all sorts of wood of various forms and related equipment. We have a couple spots in town where the DOT regularly sets up a checkpoint. I've only been stopped once and it was on my way out in our "extra" f350, not loaded yet so that wasn't an issue, and the officer went easy on my crusty old truck not being DOT legal, he just gave me a fix it ticket for getting my dot numbers on the truck and a verbal warning to get the other stuff in order like fire extinguisher, triangles, trailer inspection. But if I'd been loaded he could have put scales under me and wood is damn heavy.

I also like to not take too many risks and keep my blood pressure low. It's hilly here, so being within my engineering *if I can* is good. We had a truck come into town last summer and lost his brakes. Ended up inside a bar/restaurant killing the pregnant bartender and taking down half of a historic building. Plus, litigation being what it is in this country, I don't want to end up the but of any lawsuits whatever. Get hit by a drunk driver and if I'm doing something illegal he gets off and I loose my business... Ya know?

So I'm just try to assess the feasibility of getting the most out of the least truck. Obviously there is some difference between the different capacity models and it involves filly engineered components... Only question is whether the upgrade is feasible for me and cost effective. Also possible it's just a rating for application issue, but I doubt there is no physical difference.