Put away for the WInter, Pulling the Trans,..

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I have not been real active on here in quite a while but I am changing that and hope to be on here more often. Getting sick of some of the day to day FB stuff,.. Ugh,.. so I plan to do more here instead.

Got the truck cleaned up and tucked away for the winter. Hope to pull the trans in the next week or so and sent it out for the Performance Rebuild that I have been wanting now for 5 years.

Stay Tuned,..!

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A C6 performance rebuild? This I gotta see cause I'm gonna have to pull mine since the reverse is going out.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just do not understa d why you dont go with somthing more modern with stand alone co troller...4R100 or E4OD

wouldnt that be nicer with lockup tc?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
^^^

Thats what I was thinking as well. TQ locked will really let the torque output of the cummins shine.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Hey there Darrin, No matter what you do with the trans, you've still got the best looking brick nose out there! Just sayin! ;Sweet

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice indoor carwashing station!
The words bt and auto should never be in the same sentance, that said.... Bulletproof c-6 are cheap, bullet proof lockup gets pricey pdq.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^

Thats what I was thinking as well. TQ locked will really let the torque output of the cummins shine.
Also, double-overdrive with the GV unit and 3.55's...that could be a beautiful thing for running on the highway with the low-end grunt that the 6BT has ;Sweet

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Electronic transmission behind a mechanical diesel - hey, let's take something nice and simple and overcomplicate the heck outta it. Behind a PSD or Dirtymax or newer Cummins the e-trans is just fine. But behind a diesel that's more mechanical than even the IDIs... No, I don't think so. If a 4-speed slushbox is desired GM gave us perfectly good 4L80, for which there are manual valve bodies to take the electronic BS away. For the record, on/off converter lockup solenoid is perfectly acceptable. PWM solenoid packs, eh, not so much.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
All good points guys, Thanks for the input and the comments. Here is where I am at,

No doubt that an E4OD with Lock Up would be awesome. I was close to pulling the trigger on a Parts Truck years ago with the complete setup, but the timing was not right, so I stuck with the C6.

The problem is that when I do something I have a tendency to want to it right, so right off the batt I would want a BTS Auto Tranny, $4500.00.
Then As stated I would need the stand alone computer $700.00
It needs ABS Sensor in the rear gear, Mine does not have it, so now a rear End Swap is needed. $500.00
The E40d is a different length than the C6, so Now I am having custom drive shafts made. $450.00
Plus what other incidentals needs on this sort of swap. Figure another $400.00.
So to do it right I wold be at about $6,500.00.

Now back to the C6, With the trans that I have now if I am hard in the throttle, it wont shift when I want it to, (even tho I shift it manually) and when I do it will try to kick back down when I don't want it to. It has a shift kit and a low stall Diesel Converter, but I have been milking 2nd gear for a few years, and Now 2nd is about gone as of the fall Rally. I bought the tranny used for 250 form a member here, back with I had the IDI, and put about 100K on it, 70K behind the Cummins.

I have been wanting a Manual Valve body for a Long time, and get rid of the Vacuum lines, VRV, Kickdown linkage etc, and a GOOD Torque converter. so after the research that I have been doing, and talking with a couple other members that have experience with the C6, I am going with a BD Torque Converter, 6 pinion Planetarys, Manual Valve Body, and all the normal C6 Upgrades.

So pull the tranny, Drop it off at my Buddy who has been specializing in Ford Trannys for 30 years, Pay him $1,400.00, including the BD Torque Converter, and Bolt it back in, with no other expensive modifications.

For Me it is a No Brainer, Stick with the C6, I will most likely get well over 100K out of this new tranny, and it will put down more power with the Tighter BD TC, and shift when I want it to, plus the other upgrades.

I will be extremely excited do drive Big Ed with the new Tranny, This has been a Long Time Coming,..Finally 2nd gear went out so I have an excuse to do it right,..

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Darrin i think what your missing is a used and worn E4OD is worth more than a reman C6 is.
what your looking at is cost to build but not cost to operate.what the e4 costs to reman it far more than makes up for in fuel savings.this is why the more efficient e4 is far superior than a c6 could ever dream of.
you say "to do it right" would mean to have a BTS trans but unless your pushing huge power levels,some of those costly internals will simply go unused.no doubt you could find a local shop (possibly even your c6 guy?) who could build a proper e4 much more affordably than 5 grand.
i understand the other costs as well but still it could be trumped in fuel savings.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
You bring up 2 good poimts,

Firsf, I do not have an E40d to rebuild or for a core so that would be more expense.

Also if someone missed I do have a Gear Vendors Overdrive, so I cant see.the E4od being that much of a difference in cost to operate.

More tomorrow headed.to bed!

Last edited:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Darrin i think what your missing is a used and worn E4OD is worth more than a reman C6 is.
what your looking at is cost to build but not cost to operate.what the e4 costs to reman it far more than makes up for in fuel savings.
This is highly debatable and you know it!!! All depends on how many miles he puts on the truck per year. The less he drives it, the longer it takes to break even with the cost for E4OD swap. $5k is a lot of money do dump all at once into something like that, if he's using the thing to make money like you do with yours then yes I could definitely see some merit to it, but if he's not then IMHO there are much better ways to spend that kinda cash.

Want some numbers, I got 'em for ya: we went from a 4-speed to a ZF last year, cost us like 200 for the trans and another 100 for clutch (practically brand new junkyard score) and oil, so about 300 total. Fuel economy improved by 2mpg IIRC, from 13 to 15. Assuming $3 per gallon that means cost per mile dropped from $0.23 to $0.20, so the savings were $0.03 per mile. It therefore would take us 10k miles to recoup what we put into the ZF swap. Now in our case we're talking <$500 so not that big of a deal overall, in his case we're talking 10 times as much initial "investment". Care to calculate how long it will take him to see a return there, not even profit, just return? Assume his C6 makes for fuel consumption as lousy as our truck with the 4-speed, and use your own average numbers for the E4OD. Ignore his GV for worst case scenario.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is highly debatable and you know it!!!

yes.that was the point,to offer the suggestion so he could figure out what is best for him.without saying anything about the e4,there would be no debate.:)

the main thing to point out,is that he probably doesn't need a BTS to have a "right" e4 swap.
i did miss the GV.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still waiting on the miles to break even calculation :D You can drop the transmission cost to $3k at best to match your suggestion for non-BTS rebuild. Doubt you'll find anything decent for less than that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
93 Farm Truck