Champion radiators SUCK!!!!

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought a new champion 4 core aluminum radiator this spring. Looked great maybe put about 10000 miles at most on the truck with the radiator. Pulled it out to do some work on the truck and just put it back in. Noticed steam coming from the radiator and could see just a slight drip. Pulled it back out brought it to a radiator shop and because it's leaking in the corner I was told it can't be fixed.

Don't waste your money on champion!

Just once I want to buy something well made that will last!!

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coincidence this topic came up as, my old brass-copper radiator is weeping but not enough to leave a mark. To have it repaired/recored is $600 = no way!
I thought about Champion but no one local sells it so when it does fail I can't simply return it to a local store for the limited lifetime replacement. And I don't want to deal with mail-order, the down-time and deal with return shipping and all that drama!
So, for me...my best option is the Spectra plastic tank radiator my local parts store will sell me for $220 out the door with a limited/lifetime warranty...and when it fails (and I'm sure it will) I can walk it in their door for a replacement.

Last edited:

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes there is a warranty but I think I tossed the sales slip out with the box. And I would have to ship it back.

I will never mail order a radiator again!!

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told the corners can't be fixed

Attachments

• 20151124_143552.jpg
    20151124_143552.jpg
    1,020.6 KB · Views: 182

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is too bad, ADV. While I have good luck with my Champion, these overseas parts always seem to be hit or miss (and the misses always end up costing!) I would probably do as Al suggests if I were in the same situation - buy another and send this one back with new receipt and get a refund.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had no issues with mine so far, got several years and ~30k on it.

I agree with trying to warranty this one and get another.

I would not use a plastic tank - these are used because they're cheap and light and they are *not* nearly as durable as a copper/brass or all aluminum type. The plastic gets brittle and becomes very easy to crack. This is especially a concern with the truck setup where you pretty much have to lean/lay on the top tank to get anything done on the engine.

Nice thing about a metal tank is that you can solder/weld it to repair. Even in your case it can likely be welded, would just be difficult. Hard to tell exactly where the leak is, if it's on the outside of that joint between the tank and the side rail like it looks then IMHO it would be easy to clean and weld. If it's the tube joint under there it would be harder. That being said, it would not be hard to cut a section of the tank out and get to the inside of the tube sheet to weld even if this winds up plugging off 1 or 2 of the tubes, then weld the cut section back on.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Leaks where the tubes go into the header are from electrolysis. Electrolysis is caused by rust in the cooling system/I see rust in your pic. Tha'ts not the Radiators fault

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do not agree. Electrolysis requires dissimilar metals - these radiators are all aluminum. On a brass/copper unit possibly, but not on this type. I suspect this is a crack from stress caused by the side bracket connection to the tank, possibly a welding/assembly issue.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im part owner of a radiator and ac shop.i see this kind of damage every day. Carry on

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did have straight water in the truck for a short time after I put the 6.9 in. Did not have coolant at home and wanted to run it. Just drained and pulled the radiator a few weeks ago and everything sat empty. If this was caused by rust would that take out a radiator in a few weeks?