Won't Start With Key?

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
The 85 in sig
wont start with with key.
Turn key radio all lights in cab and headlights work.
Jumping the Starter switch on fender gets it to turn over but won't start not getting fuel
Facet Duralift pump is working no power to GlowPlugs or Ip
here's what I've replaced.
Starter Switch on steering shaft(from rock auto standard products)
Key switch also from rock auto same brand
Steering column from the 86
And the Starter solenoid/switch on fender came from the 86 and was know to work. And thoughts?

lukewarmt

BCOilBurner
Reaction score
I'd take a volt meter or test light and see if the glow plug solenoid is getting power to the coil. If not then start tracing back to the key using a wiring diagram. Not sure if you have/can find one. If not I may have one in my collection of manuals.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Have not adjusted it yet. Just went out and looked at the black wire running from the starter relay(called it a solenoid oops) to the starter it was very loose and broke off in my hand when I touched it. Don't know if that would cause a no start with key I'll fix in morning. I'll see if anyone has a multimeter and a test light.
And see what I find. If nothing works I'll swap out the new switch for the oem ford and see if it works.

Lukewarm i I don't have any wire diagrams.
But I did trace the ignition wire red to the relay.

lukewarmt

BCOilBurner
Reaction score
Are you hearing the relays activate for the glow plugs followed by the starter when you turn the key? Should be a fairly quick indication if they are working. Good luck! I bet it ends up being an easy fix.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
When I turn the key the temp light comes on.
No relays clicking totally dead. Basically only power to the following
Lights
Radio
Facet Fuel Pump loud buzzing
turn the key loses all power for about a second then come back on.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Have you checked all your ground connections? Had a similar problem awhile back. Turned out that the ground cables that attach to the front of the block were missing. Long story short, the batteries, engine, frame and body weren't properly grounded to each other.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Haven't checked the grounds from block to frame. Where is the block ground at the back of engine? didn't see one.EDIT: grounds look good.

Last edited:

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Idk if it's manual or not but if it is it could be the nuetral dafter switch but that wouldn't cause the other probs only the no start off the key

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Ok lol I can't see sigs on my phone but even still that would only cause it not to start off the key not shut all power off

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Ok lol I can't see sigs on my phone but even still that would only cause it not to start off the key not shut all power off

Yeah that's why I don't use tapatalk can't see sig.
Wonder if the starter switch is bad outa the box?

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Very well could be.i bet it's a wire though.did it start doing this after messing with something

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Very well could be.i bet it's a wire though.did it start doing this after messing with something

Been like this since I got it. It sat for 8 years. Yeah I'm going to check everything out tomorrow before it gets dark on me
again.