Project 1997 Parts truck

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
As some of you may remember, I picked up a 1997 F-250 for parts for a ridiculously low price.

You must be registered for see images attach

It has a ZF-5 transmission in it, which I prefer over the automatic. I was thinking of using the ZF-5 in a 1986 F-250 that I had picked up at the beginning of the year. The '86 had a Borg-Warner T-19 that needed a rebuild.

I bought the parts truck from a transportation company that needed a 7.3 PSD pronto. The bought the truck for the engine to use in a 2003 mini-bus people mover. The engine in the mini-bus had about 650,000 km on it and was smoking and running like crap.

I got the truck and the dead 2003 engine. When I picked up the parts truck to tow it home, one of the mechanics remarked that the parts truck looked in better shape than mine, :mad: but he was right. :rolleyes:

Realizing that I have too many trucks, I decided to sell the '86, and use the money to fund the restoration of the parts truck.

The 2003 PSD was torn down to see how bad it was. It was bad. :puke: It had two broken piston rings in cylinder #6. It had been ethered.

The valve stems and valve ends were pounded out too. The bottom end looked ok, but cyl 6 needed to be rebored.
Rebore = new pistons = $$$.

I was not really into doing a 7.3 PSD rebuild at this time, and I'm cheap *******, so I searched for a used 7.3 PSD. There were 2 7.3 PSDs for sale at the time. This is rare, because normally I don't see any, or the sellers think they are made of precious metal. I contacted both sellers. I picked this up for $1,900. 2003 7.3 PSD out of a wrecked F350 SuperDuty with about 210,000 km on it.

I currently have the transmission and transfer case for sale. I might keep the automatic trans if I can't get good money for it, as the trans in the red 1997 is behaving erratically, but that's another thread...

I also looked at the other engine. The story on this one was that it was out of a buddies 2000 F-350 that had 190,000 kms. It had sat in the back of a cube van with a bunch of other parts for over a year. It was dirtier more banged up than the first one I bought. It was also missing the turbo and other parts. When I barred the engine over it felt crunchy. :eek: No bueno. Probably rust in the cylinder(s). Uh, no thanks dude.

So the 2003 2nd generation PSD is going into the the 1997 (generation 1 PSD). How difficult could it be? Stay tuned.
Oh, I also intend to do some performance mods. :sly

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the later PSD had split shot injectors.
you will need to reflash the CPU, may need another one entirely.
i would keep the ZF, ive had a AODE out of a 97 on craigslist for 100 bucks, that supposedly runs, no bites.

the powerstrokes are intimidating to work on, but they are really very simple.
very reliabale.
just computers too. may want to invest in a scanner, and not a cheap one.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Part 2

"How difficult could it be?", I said. All the parts interchange right? Well, yes...but... I knew about the difference between the single shot and the split shot injectors, and the electric fuel pump vs mechanical. Let just say I've learned a lot lately. I've done my homework, and let me share my learnings. Along with a 7.3 2nd gen update, the combo is being changed from auto to manual transmission.

Lets start with the differences, or what I changed.

Intake Manifolds
Gen 1 has the smaller 2.5" small holes. Gen 2 has the 3" holes.

Turbo
The 1st gen turbo is a Garrett TP38. 2nd gen is a Garrett GTP38. They do not interchange. They mount differently to the pedestal. 1st Gen mounts by 4 bolts from the bottom of the pedestal. Gen 2 has two at the top. A real improvement, especially for servicing. Anyone that has removed or installed a TP38 in vehicle, will appreciate this.

Pedestal
The pedestal is a different height. The bolt pattern is the same, but the Gen 2 mounting flange is thicker, and the mounting bolts are longer.

Up pipes
The Gen 2 up pipes are longer because of the extra pedestal height.

Accumulator
A visual comparison

Attachments

• 2003_7.3PSD_valley.jpg
    2003_7.3PSD_valley.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 7.3_turbo_comparison_1.jpg
    7.3_turbo_comparison_1.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 7.3_turbo_comparison_3.jpg
    7.3_turbo_comparison_3.jpg
    950.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 7.3PSD_turbo_comparison_2.jpg
    7.3PSD_turbo_comparison_2.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would go with the "gen 2" turbo setup. Throw some bellowed up pipes in there also. Dorman makes a great kit actually.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Slow typer

The intent of this thread was to document this project: Gen 2 PSD into OBS F-250. The original project was the 1986 F-250, but i've been seduced by the Darkside (power of the PSD). From what I've learned, it is relatively easy to achieve big torque and Horse Power numbers with a "stock" engine. The kind of numbers that can only be dreamt of for the IDI crowd.

Originally, the plan was to just get the engine in and running ASAP. I wanted this truck up and running and out of my garage, as winter is coming really fast! So the plan was to just put the Gen 1 turbo, pedestal, and up pipes on. I had a some AC injectors that were in the red 1997 that I was going to build up, but that engine has over 300,000 km and has severe blowby. So I swapped them out with a set of AA injectors I picked up at the junkyard. They run great btw. A nice score. Then I started discovering things that didn't work. When I went to install the Gen 1 turbo, it didn't fit. The turbo tries to occupy the same space as the Gen 2 intake manifold. I could have modified the intake with a BFH, but then I thought, why not just run the Gen 2 turbo. I'm doing the EBPV delete. Actually, I've done it already.

The EBPV delete pedestal I order has already shown up, along with some O-rings and a resistor to pacify the PCM.

There has been a lot of progress made already, because I've been spending time working on the project instead of typing about it.

I'm a slow typer, but you guys can't read fast anyway, right? LOL ;Poke :angel:
Actually, I'm not a slow typer, but it takes me a long time to post something. So bear with me, I have a lot to tell you about. I just need to update you where I am on the project.

Teaser: 4" Down pipe

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Getting wired

Ya, I was aware of the early '99 Gen 1.5 PSD, but my situation is trying to make a good one out of two partials. :rolleyes:
Remember, "cheap *******". LOL

The first thing I did was put on the big tires from the '86 that I sold. I think it looks better, and it motivated me to get it on the road.

The truck is in the garage now and I have decided to take a little more time and do it right.

Ok, so I decided to go with the Gen 2 turbo and a pedestal with EBPV delete. That means I can use the the big 3" spyder, but there are things that aren't compatible with my plan. I'm using the AC (160 cc) injectors, which means using the OBS PCM. That's ok, but the OBS doesn't have provisions for the Intake Air Heater or the Waste Gate controller. Um...no problem just delete. The AIH is restriction anyway. I'll have to keep an eye on the boost gauge I guess.

The other big deal is the Gen 2 used an intercooler (Ford calls it a Charge Air Cooler). The OBS did not. It just so happens I have a 6.0 CAC sitting in my basement that I picked up last year just for this type of situation. :sly The problem is I'll have to do some custom piping.

Other issues I have run into are:

Front accessory mounting brackets are different. The Gen 2 has the alternator and A/C compressor on the opposite side of the Gen 1.

The engine mount brackets on the Gen 2 are cast iron, the Gen 1 are stamped steel (thinner) bolts are different. Also, the Gen 2 engine mounts have 4 bolts per mount. The Gen 1 has 2 per mount. I'm going to use the Gen 1 mounts, because the Gen 2 mounts were cut off with a torch. :p

The wiring harness. The Gen 1 wiring harness runs over the engine near the front and has two under valve cover connectors per bank of cylinders. The Gen 2 has 1 per bank. I like that. The Engine Oil Temp sensor has a different connector on it. Thanks Ford.
The Gen 1 has a Engine Coolant Temp switch (for the idiot light), the Gen 2 does not. The Gen 1 has a Fuel Bowl wiring harness. The Gen 2 does not. Basically, the harnesses are not plug and play.

Solution: custom wiring harness. :rolleyes:
I mapped both wiring harnesses out and wound up repinning 17 connections. I wound up modifing the 1997 harness and connector because the 2003 connector was damaged. I put the pin-outs in a spreadsheet so I could figure out what needs to go where. If some one wants to see it, I can post it up.

Some wiring harness pics:

1997 harness

2003 harness

Pin 18 goes nowhere (one with the knot in it). *** Ford?

Custom harness

Well, back out to the garage.
Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The SD should definitely have the oil pressure switch. At least the 00 550 I was around did.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can run the 03 split shot injectors with your 97 programming.only issue you will have is a lopey idle when starting it or after coming off a rev.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
More pics

Here are a couple of pics about what I was talking about earlier:

Engine mounts

Air Intake Heater

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the engine mount on the left damn sure looks like an IDI mount lol

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Ah, okay. You may have already seen, but you can use a cummapart oil drain plug for a aih block off.
Yeah they read oil temp instead of coolant.