92 7.3 up pipe install-what am I missing?

DirtRoads

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a turbo kit off of a 94 from a member on here and am have a few problems with up pipe. I have clearanced the firewall a fairly good amount and am still not able to slide the pipe in from the bottom with it still pressed together in a single piece.

I do not want to separate the pipe and risk leakage, here is my problem. Is there a way to get this pipe in without removing the transmission or lifting the cab? I'm not opposed to bending the firewall even more, I'm just not sure there is enough range of motion to clear the pipe.

If I go the jacking up the body route, will I be able to reuse these mounts? My searching says they must be destroyed during removal, but is that the case for just lifting the body and setting it back down on the old mounts? This was a Pennsylvania truck for about 5 years, it's got some rust but it's not completely terrible. For time purposes, I really don't need to wait on a delivery.

Is there a third option that I haven't seen?

Thanks for the help!!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you use 2 scissor jacks on each end and lift the cab up just a bit, you can remove the driveshaft and trans cross member and weasle it in...
this is how i got mine out .
but i split my up pipes.
best thing to do is separate them....
if its tight, you should beable to make it seal again...
makes me think there the updated castings.

DirtRoads

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The entire system is a factory take off from a 94 IDI truck. The only mod is a modified 3" PSD downpipe that fits well after massaging the firewall

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i got a 3" DP to fit without messing with the firewall besides the pinch weld...

DirtRoads

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, but my DP fits perfectly. I just need to know if there are any tricks to wiggling this up pipe into place.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been there. Did NOT want to separate the two pieces and risk leakage. Finally gave up, I just could not get it to work. Had to heat the joint to get it apart! but made it a lot easier to install. AFAIK I don't have any leaks...

DirtRoads

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been there. Did NOT want to separate the two pieces and risk leakage. Finally gave up, I just could not get it to work. Had to heat the joint to get it apart! but made it a lot easier to install. AFAIK I don't have any leaks...

Did you try to lift the body and decide against it? Is there any type of sealant that can be used on the up pipe to ensure a good seal?

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No I didn't try lifting the body. That may have helped, but with 250k on my truck and the rust and corrosion that goes with a life in the Midwest, I quickly decided that wasn't an option. I did have a handy-dandy little hydraulic ram that I was able to wedge between the cab and transmission, and even with that in there helping there was no way it was going in.

As far as a sealant, not sure. There may be a product out there.

You might be worrying too much? Like I said, I haven't had any problems....

Eli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are y'all liking the 3" downpipe conversion on the factory turbo? Is it the R&D kit?

Eli

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ATS on mine, not Ford. 3" was the way it was originally issued. LOL So nothing to compare to there....

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lift the body, mounts are sagged, also make sure the studs are out of the manifold, they are replaced with bolts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
E Moeller