Timing my IP

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took the big Ol green on a big trip 550 miles each way with higher elevation reaches up 6300 above sea level , I previously posted that i always notice bluish smoke when truck warms up , Some suggested new IP , some say timing the IP might been over due . Here is what i experienced this trip and i am clueless to what it might be .

When i reached the cabin at 4000 ft when i started the truck back the next day the bluish smoke was noticeable and it was running much rich, i notice that when i was fueling , Now during my driving home reaching higher elevation i get caught behind slower traffic causing down shifting then the truck trying to go from 30mph to 40 i get that feel of like i am pushing the pedal but not going any where then i can't help it but to notice the amont of black smoke coming out the tail pipe and i still on the same speed but no surging or coughing then the black smoke go away and follow it a bluish / grayish smoke according to my son who was driving behind me then the power kicks back on .

Another symptoms which i couldn't help but to notice is when coming down from the top of the mountain at higher speed and reapply the gas it spits out nice amount of big bluish smoke almost gray's or white ish . all the above symptoms gone away when i go home in the flat land by the coastal area / sea level except the light haze of bluish smoke when truck warms up .

What should i check 1st , Truck has 135k miles

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is the truck in the sig with the sidewider? before i read your sig,i was like.well ok.sounds like all is normal for an n/a engine but then i see the banks and that's no good.she should pretty much run the same at sea level as she does up in the mountains.

well the blue smoke you see is caused by oil.when idling blue it's typically the valve guide seals.in your case while smoking blue tint under load while driving,that's rings.

the dark black and deep gray smoke is over fueling or in your case,not getting enough air at high elevations for the fuel you have.
how's the air cleaner look?

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will check the Air filter .. Its due for oil change and i had to add about 1/2-3/4 qt of oil during this 5k oil change due to dip stick tube leaked , Turbo return line was leaking in the VP and passenger valve cover.

When you said the bank turbo should make it run the same at elevation or by the sea ..are thinking that the turbo oil seal might be weak ..?

YES it's the truck with Turbo in my Sig .. I was going up the mountain with the truck and it gets slower as elevation/resistance increase , i push the pedal and feels like i am going no where which that when i noticed all the black smoke pumping out followed by bluish/gray and power comes back .. Totally strange

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
135k original IP , Injectors . Only thing was replaced is all the injectors cap, O rings, lines and filter

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
id say its time for a pump. the advance mechanism may be worn? Im no pump expert but the general consensus is their life is around 100-120k miles. Would be a waste of a rental timing an old pump IMO.. THat beign said, could very well still be timing..

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a local Diesel shop that is an authorized stanadyne Repair , sale shop near by . Funny thing that stanadyne Factory is 30 minute down the street from my home town . The shop charges around $80/H