Engine Ruined...

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
Well, today has been a terrible day.

Was driving to a baseball game when the truck started shaking violently and sputtered everywhere, so I quickly pulled into some neighbourhood.

I saw oil pouring everywhere, so I called my boss, and we towed the truck to the shop I work at.

Here's some pictures - see for yourself... http://imgur.com/a/egyaN

Needless to say, the engine is *****.

The truck I worked my ass off for with two part time jobs while going to school is screwed right now...

I'm gonna look for another engine somewhere.

In the meantime, I guess I won't be asking too many questions.

Hopefully the truck will be back in commission soon. Gonna have to start saving up for an engine.

If anyone knows where I should look for a salvage engine or something, please let me know.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

gandalf

Reaction score
Could you give us some idea where you are? We don't want to suggest an engine which is 3000 miles away.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Man I'll be picking up a engine that overheated(6.9) next week
I'll be keeping the accessorys and internals but the block is free just pay the freight
I'll tear it down and inspect the block.

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
Man I'll be picking up a engine that overheated(6.9) next week
I'll be keeping the accessorys and internals but the block is free just pay the freight
I'll tear it down and inspect the block.

I appreciate it. I'll let you know on that.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what happened? Did you ever see the oil pressure drop before she shut off on you? That oil pressure gauge you have is an actual gauge you know, should respond to changes in pressure fairly accurately. Did she overheat? That gauge is also kinda decent, it lacks numbers but if you ever saw it trying to creep out of the "NORMAL" range that's like 1 minute away from hitting 240F on the coolant.

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
So what happened? Did you ever see the oil pressure drop before she shut off on you? That oil pressure gauge you have is an actual gauge you know, should respond to changes in pressure fairly accurately. Did she overheat? That gauge is also kinda decent, it lacks numbers but if you ever saw it trying to creep out of the "NORMAL" range that's like 1 minute away from hitting 240F on the coolant.
Oil pressure gauge wasn't abnormal. It didn't shut off, it just ran EXTREMELY rough. It still runs, but you can clearly see the rod coming out of the oil pan, along with the oil.

Engine didn't overheat either.

At this stage, I'm in deep need of an engine.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, you chucked a rod? Dang! Didn't see it in the pics, hence why I asked what happened. Still weird she let go all of sudden like that, especially if there was no problem with the lubrication... Major bummer for sure!

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
Oh, you chucked a rod? Dang! Didn't see it in the pics, hence why I asked what happened. Still weird she let go all of sudden like that, especially if there was no problem with the lubrication... Major bummer for sure!
Yeah. Especially for a kid whos in school while working.

Its a major bummer.

I'm just hoping I can find a engine somewhere.

Eli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wasn't somebody selling an RTO IDIT in KY for cheap recently?

Eli

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya sorry hear out dissaster those suck.

Still...not seeing jack ***** but a filthy engine in e pics..

Go back through market place and see if can locqte something

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready to take my donor truck to the recycle. I bought it about 5 or 6 years ago for the zf 5 speed. It had a hard hit to the pass side and ruined the back of the front fender, the pass door and the pass side bed. The frame still looks ok though. It's a 89 f250 with 4.10's.

It still has the engine in it(7.3 no turbo). It ran when I bought it, we drove it up on the trailer, and I drove it up in the garage. Someone had messed up the ignition wiring, so I had to give it a small shot of ether, but it always started right up and ran good. But I never had it out on the road and I did catch a slight wisp of blue smoke coming out of the tailpipe.

Metal is down right now, I expect I would get $200-$300 for it from the recycler. You can have the whole truck for $200 if you want it, just bring some wheels and tires to roll it up on your trailer, I want to keep the 16in rims that are on it. I live 5 miles south of Staunton Va, about a mile from I-81. PM me if you want to talk about it. I am getting ready to move and it is going to the metal man.

mntwins7

Broken 6.9
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Most places are closed over the weekend so I'm gonna try to locate something next week.

Incase you couldn't see from the pics I posted, these are circled.

http://imgur.com/a/2E9v8

On the first image, you can see the rod through the oil pan, and on the second image, you can see a bulge of where another was gonna break through.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm guessing your number 8 rod cap let go. This is what my rebuildable engine looked like when I purchased it from a guy on ebay. He had placed some dirt over the pan hole like you have. He told me it had high miles from so many trips back to home in Mexico...-cuss:***: I really should have revisited this fella but why risk jail time for $82.50. BTW I saved that engine and rebuilt it...

Attachments

• DSC00028.JPG
    DSC00028.JPG
    542.6 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC00027.JPG
    DSC00027.JPG
    533 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC00030.JPG
    DSC00030.JPG
    550.2 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC00033.JPG
    DSC00033.JPG