The Things You Hear

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm just looking for other opinions here. A couple of weeks ago, I heard a completely ridiculous thing. Keep in mind that the kid who said is full of s**t and a habitual liar. He's 21 or 22. Right now he's in the Air Force. Before that he was a certified diesel mechanic, he went through school for diesel mechanics, he was an over the road trucker, he owned his own semi, and somewhere in there he had a career as a motocross rider. Before his newer Dodge, he had an '08 Ford with a diesel. Of course he says that all he did was bypass the "EGR stuff" and it would get 28mpg. Ok now you have an idea of what he's like. His big statement was this. My sister was going to buy a 2010 Ford, but I talked her out of it because it had some blowby while running. I've never seen a diesel with blowby! He worked on and owned semis and has never seen a diesel with blowby? He went through a school for diesel mechanics and has never seen a diesel with blowby? I understand that the newer diesels like the 7.3 psd do run their crankcase ventilation back through the intake hoses to be reburned in the engine like a fuel injected gas engine. Finally ALL INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINES HAVE BLOWBY WHILE THEY ARE RUNNING! Some more than others. There is no way to completely eliminate blowby because some combustion gasses always get by the rings. Especially at the high compression ratios that diesels need to have in order to operate. So let's hear your thoughts on this.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
He is an IDGIT!!!! That is all....

My 14hp Single Cylinder Kohler has blowby........ why the hell wouldn't a 6.4L diesel....

He needs to quit dreaming up his lavish stories before his head explodes........

Sad thing is, my oldest son, at times, does the same thing......... he is almost 21........

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's just it. "Know it all's" know absolutely nothing. Kind of entertaining listening to people like that.
Having said that, my 6.7 psd has had lots of blowby straight from the dealership. Much more than my 6.9 Idi. A steady stream vents out of dipstick tube. Did that at 2k and exactly the same at 50k thats on it now.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell him to walk through a truckstop and to look at the smoke coming out of the draft tubes on every diesel there. Thats blow by

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have a ********* at work just like him. He's just now 21 and I swear, according to him, he's done more than I have in my 37 years. Young'uns seem to think they're experts on anything they've had the most minor of experiences with or read about. Plus, one cannot even get a CDL before they are 21 years old. I really dislike just about anyone under 25 anymore. Lol
I really dislike millennials.
Anyone who says they've never seen a diesel with blowby is not worthy of speaking on diesels.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huh, so it is. I've never heard of any CDL required job that would hire anyone under 21 and I've always HEARD it was 21.
The things you hear.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to haul powder cement. I trained an 18 yr old that had just got his CDL.

He didn't last long though. He quit soon after. Theres plenty of local driving jobs for an 18 yr old. But ya Swift and Schneider wont hire a driver till 25 usually.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well that's because by law (at least in Oklahoma) you "can't" drive a commercial vehicle under 21.
So basically limited to personal/not for hire use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

DirtRoads

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a ********* at work just like him. He's just now 21 and I swear, according to him, he's done more than I have in my 37 years. Young'uns seem to think they're experts on anything they've had the most minor of experiences with or read about. Plus, one cannot even get a CDL before they are 21 years old. I really dislike just about anyone under 25 anymore. Lol
I really dislike millennials.
Anyone who says they've never seen a diesel with blowby is not worthy of speaking on diesels.

That's interesting, a lot of people agree with you. I'm 25. I work with a bunch of guys that are around 45-55 and, to be honest, are so full of it that it is incomprehensible at time. While millennials are young and cocky, there are PLENTY of older folks who make it up on the fly and complement us young guns.

If anything, I have learned that age is not a factor when determining a person's credibility. While it sounds like this guy is over the top, it is unjust and irrational to write off an entire generation of potentially intelligent people simply because they were born into the title of millennial.

Simply put: a person who has been doing a task for 25 years doesn't necessarily have 25 years of experience. They might possibly have 1 year of experience doing it wrong 25 times.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, of course, you're right and I thought of that after I posted it. I don't mean to suggest that I dislike, automatically, that group of people. I do judge each person I meet individually, and certainly there are plenty of older folks who are completely full of it. There are plenty of people, period, who are full of it.

DirtRoads

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, of course, you're right and I thought of that after I posted it. I don't mean to suggest that I dislike, automatically, that group of people. I do judge each person I meet individually, and certainly there are plenty of older folks who are completely full of it. There are plenty of people, period, who are full of it.

Believe me, I take no offense. I enjoy breaking the stereotype. It's just something that nobody ever seems to consider.