Two questions....

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I replace my lifters and put everything back together how much torque do I need for the rocker arm bolts? Second...my truck has some cheap lick and stick chrome on the bottom of the truck. What do I use after I peel it off to get rid of the sticky stuff it leaves behind?

The sealed power roller lifters I bought is needle bearing rollers....woo hoo....:D

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
goof off for the stickers. or gasoline, wd-40, heat gun, or some other stuff im sure. heat gun and goof off does it for me usually.

i know someone else will have the rocker arm info, but you may want to invest in a haynes manual for the idis. I got one it was pretty cheap

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I recall they are torqued to 27 lbs but.. Someone needs to verify this. Twisting off a bolt is a bad idea because I mentioned the wrong torque.
As for you asking if I was suggesting replacing the cam.. Nope. They last longer than daddys shoes.....

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
27 does sound right to me...

Great time to swap out the cam for a different one with a cam grind :sly

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Per official Ford spec book, the torque is 20 ft/lb (27 n-m)

Also, be careful to tighten them evenly, especially if you have the older style aluminum bridge rockers. I lost a freshly rebuilt engine from uneven tightening of the rockers.... :eek: (rocker pivot cracked at one bolt, cracked off loose half worked free so rocker was only supported on one side and was tipped which held valve open and after kissing the piston enough times it broke off and caused serious carnage)

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, on the other hand the truck made it ~100 miles on the freeway at about 15k gross (admittedly flat) with a 1/2" hole through one of the pistons before loosing the wrist pin..... :eek: Was still running after that too, though it lost oil pressure from dumping the cooling system into the oil sump.

Attachments

• P1130010.JPG
    P1130010.JPG
    504.4 KB · Views: 16
  • P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    435.4 KB · Views: 17
  • P1130007.JPG
    P1130007.JPG
    424.1 KB · Views: 19
  • P1130005.JPG
    P1130005.JPG
    419.2 KB · Views: 15
  • P1130006.JPG
    P1130006.JPG
    361.3 KB · Views: 16

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whoa....that was ugly...no my rocker arm bridge is different than the one in the pic....

That's the newer style - much better than the aluminum bridge both because it's not going to crack like mine and less wear.

Yep, fun trip. Just got done with the engine too.... had reasonable warning something was going wrong but the point where I realized it was something more serious (had a serious chuff and pressure fluctuation but though it was a simple valve issue) was about 100 miles into a 400 mile trip pulling horses, and I couldn't really stop and figure out what was going on but had to just keep going and pray. Made it ~100 miles after that (with piston kissing the valve), then another ~100 miles with the hole in the piston and finally died 80 odd miles short of home... but was relatively easy at that point to have someone come rescue the horse trailer and get AAA to tow the truck to the shop - 99 miles to the shop and I had 100 mile free towing.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, on the other hand the truck made it ~100 miles on the freeway at about 15k gross (admittedly flat) with a 1/2" hole through one of the pistons before loosing the wrist pin..... :eek: Was still running after that too, though it lost oil pressure from dumping the cooling system into the oil sump.
Man thats a thin cylinder wall!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
A cam swap really isn't that difficult. It just takes time. Of course I've built several of these (and 6.2/6.5"s). I feel confident doing anything to these simple engines so I might not be the right one to say that something isn't too difficult.