Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Effing plastic thingy....
You must be registered for see images attach

It has now made it self a home as it wore the paint on the hood down to a point it would look uglier( possible???) without it.
The issue is
If ya want to use the squirtguns to wash the windshield... It creates a swirling effect that hits the entire cab under power( works as expected parked) think big *** Texas bugs!!!! Does it really add to the fuel economey as advertised when sold back then???
My old eyes like clean glass, momma likes her purty chariot' so wetting the dust on the cab makes it look like the beverly hillbillies when ya get to camp...( which I'm fine with) but I married a city gal!
Anyone got first hand fuel stats??????
Carry on cb

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any you preppy girls do not say wash the truck' I'm a once a year guy!:sly

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought they hurt mileage not help. Not sure how that thing would help??? I have one for my 86. Its in the barn attic somewhere.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
help the gas mileage? not a chance.
keep flying rocks away from a paper thin windshield glass? you bet your last dollar.
i used to run one, but I like my roof visor more. you can't have both on the truck.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Should technically help, though I haven't seen them advertised as such.
Mainly just a bug shield.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Decreasing drag. Throwing the air up over the windshield instead of straight on the windshield. That's why the washer fluid gets a swirling affect.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ thats why I left it on, the fact it pushes the bugs up and over is a bonus!
Think I will put wirer arm squirters on the truck to fix it.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Decreasing drag. Throwing the air up over the windshield instead of straight on the windshield. That's why the washer fluid gets a swirling affect.

They do throw the air up, but I have always understood that increasing turbulance increases drag. I have always been told and read that bug shields decrease mileage. I have not firsthand knowledge either way.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I will have to do some digging, but I remember DECADES ago, that I believe it was Ford put out a report about how each "add on" can effect fuel economy, things like bug shields, running boards, mirrors, cab lights, etc......

I've not used the style above, but I've used the flat style that was "replaced" with this style shield. The old flat style worked really well, and I don't remember there being issues using the washers.... this was on a bullnose, with a flat shield, but this really pushed the air up over the cab.......

I will see if I can dig up that report......

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
keep flying rocks away from a paper thin windshield glass? you bet your last dollar.
i used to run one, but I like my roof visor more. you can't have both on the truck.
Unless some ********* with like 3ft lift and some gnarly-looking tires sticking out a foot past the fenders with no mudflaps or anything like that merges on the interstate right in front of you and then takes off at ludicrous speed for no good reason other than to show off that he can - there was no air-deflecting that rock from that windshield.

Why not visor and deflector together? One messes with the other?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless some ********* with like 3ft lift and some gnarly-looking tires sticking out a foot past the fenders with no mudflaps or anything like that merges on the interstate right in front of you and then takes off at ludicrous speed for no good reason other than to show off that he can - there was no air-deflecting that rock from that windshield.

Why not visor and deflector together? One messes with the other?
the air disturbance from the deflector causes the visor to vibrate. this is firsthand experience.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I figured. Must depend on the deflector tho, cause our visor stays put nice and solid, and I'm pretty sure we're all running the same visor (Lund?) so that leaves just the deflector (we got the big tall vertical one, not this aero wing thing in the pics in the firs post). Either that, or we just drive the thing too slow LOL

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have Lund sunvisiors and moonvisors on my trucks. yes, I have the pexi nose guard too.
yes, I've been busted for 104+ 30 mins outside of El Paso on the I10