Retiring Soldier looking for some input modifying an idea.

Dustoff

Reaction score
All,

Newby here, Ive been lurking and looking for answers for a while now and need some help with a project if anyone can assist. I wrapping up the final months of a 20 year Military career and am in need of a second career, I’m throwing my hat into the “Food Truck” Biz. I’ve been brainstorming on designs for a few months now and have came up with a final look but need some advice from Medium duty professionals to point out my pit falls of the truck. If you can click the link, you can see the pics of this guys food truck http://tasteofpotrero.com/portfolio/del-popolo/

The guy in the pic Del Pop, used a Class 6 truck with a 20ft side open shipping container. I love the idea but don’t want to totally rip off his idea. Also, my design and layout needs a minimum of 24’. What I have in mind is:
1. Purchasing a 28’ pup semi trailer and cutting it down to 24’
2. Purchasing a 40’ shipping container cutting it down to 24’
3. Purchasing a class 6, looking at international 4300 Non CDL “tractor” setup with a 5th wheel
4. Modifying / narrowing the landing gear to allow for the cut out area for the server
5. Placing the modified shipping container on the modified pup chassis and pulling it with the truck

I have looked into every idea,
Using a modified gooseneck
Using a modified moving truck
Modifying the pup trailer’s Dry van
Etc

None of the listed ideas gets me to the desired outcome or things I really like about “Del’s” truck.

Im looking for the steel door exterior and shipping container idea to make an industrial rustic appearance.
I like how he cuts out and steps down the server / waiter area to be level with customers.
Im also looking to keep the front and rear tires proportionally distanced to allow a balanced look. For example, the rear tires of a Pup are about 3 feet from the rear bumper and the rear axle of the tractor should set back about 3 feet when connected to the pin. Leaving 18” of drop down to about 18’ of length for my server

My questions are:

1. Please point out any structural or feasible mistakes or assumptions I have about this project.
2. The modified container will weigh about 6k pounds (full trailer load about 12-14K pounds) with the door system and windows weighing about 1,500 – 2,500 pound, I’ll off set the 2K pound oven and about 1,500 more in weight on the opposite side to help with balance. How important is balance in this situation?
3. Does the rear axle and king pin of a pup trailer connect to the chassis or are they connected directly to the dry van’s frame?
a. Thinking if I can bolt / weld the entire axle assembly to the bottom of the shipping container after properly modifying the connections making it more sturdy, the same with the king pin.
4. Will this be street legal?
5. Do my modifications have to be done by a body shop or can my buddy who builds 16' bumper pull trailers do the work?

Thank you very much for the help!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome. I have some food truck experience. Heavy on the fleet maintence side, some ownership experience and very little working inside one other than I don't like the claustrophobia in one.
you didn't mention what kind of food you are preparing and serving. is this a route or a food truck fair you will be selling at?
the more info, the better the responses.
remember, answers are only as good or concise as the info provided.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Short!
Congrats!
The customers are in the way of a view of the server area!
Looks like a drop belly dry van idea?( like the chip trucks used in logging?)

Would a lowboy hauler also work( I nees to look up the class 6 tractor) but I think you ade onto something!
THANX FOR THE FULL HITCH!
Thats the real meaning of " I retired from the armed forces"

Dustoff

Reaction score

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, thanks. Im close to a 2 digit midget.

http://www.chowhound.com/food-news/127780/pizza-del-popolo-blows-up-the-food-truck/

This link has a few more pics that might be helpful. I considered a low boy hauler but am trying to keep to the elevated platform for the crowd to see the pizzas being made.

I was referring to a Class 6 or so medium duty with a semi 5th wheel package on the back
i know the truck. it took him forever to pass the health dept inspection. when you build a one-off, there's alot of stuff you takes for granted in a WYSS bros. built coach that makes cleanout a easier and as a result passing a health inspection easier.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you looked into the small buisness association as to help with paperwork end( as tow at mentioned public health can be a pita) good point on the height display.
Be back later.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
theres nothing better than that moment you receive your DD214....
thanks for the service and good luck on the new adventure...
im no help in this department.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deep drop van, with a secondary cooks platform?

Dustoff

Reaction score
Im working with the SBA here in Louisiana, They are very enthused about the idea. Also working with a small biz company that goes a few steps further. I also found a mentor who owned a few restaurants. With a failure rate of 80% I'm crossing my t's and dotting the I's

Dustoff

Reaction score
Im not familiar with a deep drop van, but was very interested in a deep drop trailer or a gooseneck for a while. However, once I began drawling this plan out, I quickly realized I need the height for display and the underneath area for storage, generators, remote condensing unit, firewood, etc.

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may be WAY LATE on your plans, and be of COMPLETELY NO USE, but have you ever considered something like a 'retired' school bus as the platform for your food truck?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01