EPA & VW

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone paying attention to what's going on with them?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I was reading about it as we have a 10 tdi.
I kinda wish ours was one of the "affected" ones. But we just had a software update done.
Kinda interesting to say the least. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Um....... more info please? Link?

I have an old VW...... is it the old ones, or the new ones?

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New ones. They purposely wrote in the software so the engine would run cleaner when it detected it was being smogged. Then when it was over it would switch back and run "dirty" again. Heard they are looking at a $40,000 fine per vehicle and there are somewhere around 500,000 vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was only the nitric oxide emissions. Those are bad on diesels because of the high combustion temperatures. In europe they have different nitric oxide emission allowances for diesels to account for this. My understanding is that epa regulates them just like a gasser over here which is why they have so much emissions crap on them nowdays.
Most things that lower combustion temps in diesels also rob power. I can understand why they did it but its hard to believe they pulled it off so long. I bet they are going to get the crap fined out of them. I read the epa COULD fine up to $37500 per car.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Um....... more info please? Link?

I have an old VW...... is it the old ones, or the new ones?

Others beat me to it but your old 1.6 and my old ALH don't have anything fancy like the CRDs this covers. Model year 2009-2015; not all but just about all of them. Only a few models are exempt. Up to a potential $18 billion fine if you take it at maximums (units and fine/unit) and you can be sure that this Administration will be pushing the EPA/CARB hard for that maximum not only to continue to fund the Agency but also because it's a foreign manufacturer (how much did GM have to pay for ignition locks that actually killed people) and because VW's TN plant is non-union and has continued to vote against representation several times. Now when the CRD folks look down their nose at me for driving a pre-EPA VW I can laugh at them even harder. Too bad for VW but I bought mine for the mileage and reliability and I'm getting it.

pafixitman

Reaction score
According to the latest headline in Automotive News, VW is setting aside 11.3 billion on the books for Q3 (ends next week) for "irregularities". My gut tells me that is why they had Ferdinand (or however you spell his name) ousted as CEO and Winterkorn took over. He headed R&D before he became CEO. What better way to try and keep it quiet.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
so what happens when they fix the vehicles and people no longer have a vehicle that performs as it did when they purchased it?

pafixitman

Reaction score
so what happens when they fix the vehicles and people no longer have a vehicle that performs as it did when they purchased it?

Exactly! Right now there is no recall. Rumor is EPA will initiate that very soon. VW has already admitted guilt, so the bulk of the money will be for fines. The corporation, shareholders and vehicle owners end up paying the price. There seems to be a push to get VW to do a buy back. Probably be like FCA and the Jeep gas tank... here is a voucher to use when purchasing another of our fine autos! My g/f got the "free" hitch installed on her Liberty instead of the voucher. I got tired of trying to deal with the dealer on my GC and since I needed a hitch went to the pick and pull. I'm still listed as never having the recall completed.

Ironic thing is I was so close to buying a preowned Jetta TDI in July. The deal breaker came down to the wonderful leatherette interior. I got the Elantra instead.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
It was a genius idea, too bad they got caught. How many government regulators were aware of this problem two days ago? None. It was brought forward by a private whistle blower.