Replace Cam Bearings in a 454 ???

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been given the task of finding out if it is possible to replace ALL cam bearings in a 454 in frame (engine still in vehicle)

A non-computer relative has a late-40s/early-50s Chevy street rod that has been spared no expense in the building; the engine has less than 1000 miles on it.

The current cam has little if any "lope" and he wants a cam with a lot more "lope" to it.

I told him that, due to the newness of everything, I would just replace the cam and leave the bearings alone.

However, that still leaves the question --- can the cam bearings be replaced without pulling the engine ?

I have read several accounts of the cam bearings being replaced in frame on GM 60/70 series trucks with 366 engines, but no instructive articles as to how it is accomplished were provided.

Thanks for reading.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ummm, hells no!!!
theres a expansion plug on the back side of the block youre going to need to remove.
i mean it can theoretically be done, but how are you going to align the oil holes?

i have a low buck 1930 olds with a pontiac 400 in it, when i built the engine, it was a junkyard engine with wasted cam bearings.
i spent 200 in cam bearings trying to install them myself, ended up having to tear the rotating assembly out and give my machinist 75 to do it for me.

in a perfect world, yes....
but IMHO, HELL NO

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online