Any advice or tips on mechanical lift pump install? im all ears/eye's

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand the removal and replacement of the pump itself hell its only two bolts. From my understanding i need to get the the bigger end of the lift pump cam lobe at the bottom witch in turn puts the lobe pointing up and the 1in give or take machined surface will be visible through the opening for the pump arm witch needs to be positioned under the lobe. Once that machined surface is visible is the pump arm only allowed to be installed under the lobe? I guess what I'm asking is if the pump lobe is in the right position can the pump still be installed incorrectly? If so please inform me if possible.
With all this being said I know that the mechanical pump is junk and I do plan on installing a facet e-pump just not this weekend due to general bills and such coming first in priority. So if for a month at most I can get by with this dumpster pump then that's what I'm going to do. The pump thats installed at the moment I have no idea how old it is other than its starting to leak and I'd rather fix the problem before I'm stuck on the side of the road.

Last edited:

Wvdirtroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've read the lift pump can still be installed. If done incorrectly, the cam can break the end of the lift pump off in extreme cases, or quickly wear the arm out causing failure. In short, failure is imminent if not done correctly.

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've read the lift pump can still be installed. If done incorrectly, the cam can break the end of the lift pump off in extreme cases, or quickly wear the arm out causing failure. In short, failure is imminent if not done correctly.

I understand the information your telling me but what I was asking is can it be installed wrong with the cam in the right position?

Wvdirtroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So long as the lobes pointing up and the lift pump arm is under and making contact you're good to go.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
even if the cam is pointing down, make sure you get the armature UNDER the cam lope.
you have to be not paying attention to do this incorrectly.
its not rocket science, its childs play!

one piece of advice i will give, is go to the hardware store, get a 1-1.5" stud for the rear hole.
take a bolt with you to ensure you get the proper size and thread.
putting a washer and a nut on a stud is alot easier than trying to thread a bolt, blindly.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put one in a little while ago. I didn't do anything with the cam lobe. Whatever position it was in is the way it was when i put the pump in. I figured it really didn't make that much of a difference as long as i got the arm under it. That was 400+ miles ago, still working:dunno as for a tip. take the alternator off and the alternator bracket. easy to do and gives you much more room to get in there and clean it all up.

Runningaford

Reaction score
I did this a while back, read up on the subject. The general consensus is that the new pumps you get, are adapted so as to not be so easily mis-installed. The old ones basically had a strait arm out there that could go easily above, or below, but the new ones have a definite bend in the pump lever/arm.

When I did mine I was still apprehensive after reading several posts commenting on the newer revised pumps; I took my smart phone, and held it down there, and snapped off a photo to insure the cam lobe was in the right spot. You'll know right away whether you got it right, or have a nightmare...

Make sure you sand down the block where the old gasket was; maybe some 600 grit(plug the block with a rag). I got some of that stick'em gasket spray from the hardware store to stick the gasket to the block; so as to hold it in place while trying to stab the two bolts.

As far as pumps, I really debate what sort to run; I personally like the mechanical; I'm pro-KISS. I'm not sure, but perhaps in the future I'll go electric; I'll always keeps a mechanical pump handy.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
When I started to rebuild my engine, I found several pieces of former fuel pump innards in the oil pan, so yes it is possible to install them wrong. But if you are even a little bit careful, you can do it correctly the first time. One clue is that if you have to use a breaker bar to tighten the bolts, you probably have it on wrong. Even doing it right will result in some fiddling around trying to hold it in place while tightening the bolts, just be patient and alert. If something feels or looks wrong, it probably is.

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lift pump install went great thanks guy's.
The old pump armature was very weak and spongy feeling. Obviously the new one was very firm.
The soft hose that connects the suction side of the pump seems weak now and looks like it almost wants to collapse on itself so I will be reinstalling a beefier section of hose for that.
Once warmed up I took it for a drive and under hard acceleration it blows more black smoke than it did before but nothing crazy just something I noticed after the install.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
More proof your mechanical lift pump was failing. No telling where it was going to completely fail leaving you stranded. Glad this stranding possibility was not on a bridge in evening traffic...lol