Suggestions for Running WMO in my 95 12V

kevstar1212

Reaction score
Hey guys new to the site here. Im getting into running WMO in my 12V, i ran about 1K miles on it so far with around a 50/50 mix of oil and Diesel. I just ran all of that through some filters and then blended it with the diesel and poured it into my truck. Seemed to run good but i got a pretty heavy haze at idle. It didnt help that i had to start the truck up and move it around the house and yard a couple times and it didnt get to warm up yesterday either.

So now i have a centrifuge setup and have processed my first batch of fuel for the truck, In anticipation of running the new home brew i changed my fuel filters and drained the tank of the old fuel and poured 10 gal of fresh diesel in the truck and drove it to town and back, smoking has seemed to clear up. Anyway im looking to know what ratios you guys run in your trucks?

Currently i have about 45 gal of oil that had some diessel mixed in it( dumped oil into a old home heating fuel tank; Tank was maybe 1/5 full before i filled it with oil) and 5 gal of RUG. This has been what i have heard some other guys run, just looking for more suggestions. I wouldnt mind a little haze from the truck, but i would prefer to not pull up to a stop and watch a cloud pass by my truck.

Also not sure if it matters or not but my truck has the fuel plate pulled and 150 horse injectors and 4K springs.

Also i would love to hear any input about anything related to running WMO, wanna hear all expierance i can from you guys.

kevstar1212

Reaction score
Also forgot to mention that i have a fass fuel platinum with a 5 micron fuel water serpartor filter on it. and a pre filter before it.

turbodiesel

Reaction score
I typically run straight WVO. However I centrifuged one batch of WMO, had to cut it 25% with diesel for my centrifuge & centrifuge pump to be able to handle it. I did notice a little more smoke at idle, but it ran just fine with this 75/25 mix of WMO and diesel. I purged all the WVO out prior to trying the one batch of WMO. I have read that the two should never be mixed as it causes clotting of the whole system. Don't know if that is true or not, but I saw no reason to push the envelope to learn the hard way.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I run up to ~25% wmo with my diesel. I can tell the difference in smell, there's a slight haze, slightly higher EGTs, and its a touch more sluggish to start.

I'm not setup with a centrifuge... and re-filtering is proving tedious. Lately I've been collecting my wmo into clean containers and I let the racor-style filter on the truck do the work.

Armo

Reaction score
Been running wmo for a bit but at much lower rates then most on here. I run about 3-6 gallons wmo added straight to the tank per tank fuel up except in the winter. The wmo I burn usually is a mix of motor oils mostly from diesels and synthetic 75w-140, 75w-90 gear lube. If it seems really thick before I centrifuge it I add a couple gallons of rug to the 55 gallon feed barrel mid fill to allow the filling process to mix it in. The haze at an idle unfortunately will always exist especially when ambient temps get cool. I haven't found an additive yet that helps remove the haze completely. It also doesn't take much oil added to make it haze a little at an idle.

The reason I stopped adding wmo to my fuel in the winter wasn't cause of any issue(I ran it down to -30F) the truck still started and ran fine at the low mix of 3-6 gallons a tank but I hazed terrible and noticed quick darkening of my engine oil. I didn't do the math to back this up(such as mpg numbers) but my personal belief was most of it at cold temps instead of burning passed through the exhaust or into the motor oil. Keep in mind I removed the fuel heater on my 12v cummins and have not added any way of heating the fuel so I cant attest to those helping haze or the clean burning of wmo during the winter.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
My gut says the fuel heater doesn't contribute much once the engine is warm.

I don't blend with gasoline... I've read it burns back inside the injector tips. I'd dilute with diesel, or heat it, to improve filtering... or cut back on the mixed oils - engine oil only.

EDIT: I can't speak for cold... 'lucky' if we see -10°C in a winter.

Oh - and injector size? Larger orifices may flow the 'heavy' fuel better.

Last edited:

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s not a cummins but I’ve been making my fuel for some time now. It’s not worth it if your cutting and mixing with diesel. Use gasoline. I run 85% wmo to 15% gasoline and run it just like that through my F350. I wouldn’t touch it without a centrifuge you’d be surprised how much crap I pulled out of a batch already filtered to 5 micron. You need to throw the gasoline in the mix before centrifuging as the motor oil is too thick to send through the fuge. If you have any other questions let me know

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
It’s not a cummins but I’ve been making my fuel for some time now. It’s not worth it if your cutting and mixing with diesel. Use gasoline. I run 85% wmo to 15% gasoline and run it just like that through my F350. I wouldn’t touch it without a centrifuge you’d be surprised how much crap I pulled out of a batch already filtered to 5 micron. You need to throw the gasoline in the mix before centrifuging as the motor oil is too thick to send through the fuge. If you have any other questions let me know

What works in an IDI may not work as well with direct-injection. That's where my (yet unproven) concern lies with gasoline.

At work we centrifuge all the crankcase lube oil continuously.... but it happens at 80-90*C.

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes well if you do some research on W85 (nomenclature for 85 who 15rug) you will see thats the pretty wide conscensus on what to run in all diesels. make sure to educate yourself. Regardless what you read online i found that i was much more comfortable doing it once i answered everything myself. rug is great at cutting the viscosity down and you will notice if you use too much. just a small decrease of power nothing else. my truck has no modifications other than the banks turbocharger and stock fuel system and it loves it. if anything the idi is harder on fuels as its a lot easier to get wrong

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
yes well if you do some research on W85 (nomenclature for 85 who 15rug) you will see thats the pretty wide conscensus on what to run in all diesels. make sure to educate yourself. Regardless what you read online i found that i was much more comfortable doing it once i answered everything myself. rug is great at cutting the viscosity down and you will notice if you use too much. just a small decrease of power nothing else. my truck has no modifications other than the banks turbocharger and stock fuel system and it loves it. if anything the idi is harder on fuels as its a lot easier to get wrong

Thanks... i'll read more into it. Info i've reviewed so far led me to believe even 2% gas could cause injector damage.

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya definately try and look for he actual people that have done it. If you google w85 you’ll read a lot of info on people who have run it. I’m not familiar with the cummins but my engine has been great on it. Too little gas and it’s thick and I lose a bit of power. Too much gas and I lose power. I like 15-25% and it runs great. Have had zero mechanical issues but I only centrifuge. After it’s centrifuges it gets pumped into my 100 gallon bed mounted tank. Then it goes to a Donaldson 5 micron then through a cen-tek water separator to my fill hose.