new to me 89 f350, got some questions

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, my 94 f250 factory turbo truck had a bad day, so I decided to get another truck to replace it while I am trying to figure out what to do with the f250. So I found this 89 f350 XLT Lariat truck on craigslist. Advertised as 118k miles, but I have not clue if that is accurate because the odometer does not go that high. The truck is a 7.3, 5 speed, 2wd. The frame is super clean and the radiator support is solid. I drove the truck home 2.5 hours and had no problems. The truck actually feels more peppy than I thought it would. Since it was non turbo I thought it was going to be a dog but it really was not. Here are a few pics:

You must be registered for see images attach

What is this? Its on the left hand side of the bed. I assume the plug is for the gooseneck hitch, but what are the other things on the sides? They look like air release valves.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has an aluminum radiator in it already

Also looks to have an electric fuel pump too

I am not sure what this is. It's not on my f250. It's under the brake master cylinder.

Over all the truck runs and drives really well. The PO did turn the idle up because it was having issues cutting off when you goose the gas pedal. I am going to does the fuel filter with atf and let it soak over night and see if that clears things up and I can turn the idle back down. The truck runs nice and smooth though and has no hesitation. The power windows work but the power locks do not. It has a/c but it is not blowing cold. The truck has been painted, and some one did a cheap job but it's good enough for the truck.

More info coming soon, just wanted to get something started on my new truck.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nice truck. I'm betting it was used to haul a trailer rv. That item under the master cylinder is an aux brake system for the trailer. Thats also what those "air line looking thing" are near the trailer plug. Find a name and goggle it. Thats the best way to figure out how the trailer brakes work. Might also be a western truck that just was not enough for the owner so they sold it.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice truck. I'm betting it was used to haul a trailer rv. That item under the master cylinder is an aux brake system for the trailer. Thats also what those "air line looking thing" are near the trailer plug. Find a name and goggle it. Thats the best way to figure out how the trailer brakes work. Might also be a western truck that just was not enough for the owner so they sold it.

What the PO told me is that it started out life pulling a horse trailer, then in the 90's it was sold to a construction company, and they used it as a work truck. The PO bought it at an auction so they really did not know much about the history of it.

I will try to find some information on that trailer brake system. I have always just had electric brakes so I am not familiar with that.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
address that fuel pump ASAP.
thats a vato zone special, and most likely was done in haste.
those style pumps are pushers, not pullers like a facet.
and it will crap out on you, and most likely in the most inconvenient of times.
other wise, nice truck. my 90 SC DRW 2 wd ZF5 is also not bad on power.
too bad i cant register it, so its nothing but a donar truck!

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
address that fuel pump ASAP.
thats a vato zone special, and most likely was done in haste.
those style pumps are pushers, not pullers like a facet.
and it will crap out on you, and most likely in the most inconvenient of times.
other wise, nice truck. my 90 SC DRW 2 wd ZF5 is also not bad on power.
too bad i cant register it, so its nothing but a donar truck!

Do you have a link to a pump you recommend over the one that is in there?

Also, are there any good replacement headlight options? These suck and they are hazed over.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice lookin truck.
That "thing" in the bed is a hydraulic quick connect for the Gooseneck trailer Hydraulic brakes. The pluggin is a 6 pin connection for the trailer lighting, also a possible battery charge supply for the trailer battery. The "thing" under the Master Brake Cylinder supplies the Hyd. pressure back to the quick disconnects for the trailer brakes. That's what it all looks like to me.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something I noticed with the gauges...I am not sure how accurate they are. The water temp never got up to "normal", and the oil pressure would never go past the left side of the "N" in "normal". The fuel gauge started bouncing around and the truck only needed about 5 gallons of fuel to fill it up....is this common for these gauges?

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
No. I'd look for damaged wiring from the fuel pump.

As for headlights, you can get factory replacements, clean the old ones, or get into the vendor section of fullsizebronco.com and order a pair of retrofitted HID projectors (about $600+).

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
had my rear tank fuel gage go out on me... take a testlight to the wiring harness on the problematic tank and make sure you have power back there... then work your way to the engine

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a link to a pump you recommend over the one that is in there?

Also, are there any good replacement headlight options? These suck and they are hazed over.

best thing to do with your headlights is go on amazon or e-bay for NOS replacements.
ive searched for aftermarket stuff, and the only thing available is getting the stock ones or going to an aussie headlight and bucket.

as far as fuel pumps, alot of people have had luck with the facet puller pumps, its a diaphram style and not a vein pusher pump.

i run these pumps below under the truck, as pusher pumps.

personally, im running this pump.
but i have a 105 cc IP, and i need the fuel supply.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-712-815-1
i have it regulated to 6 psi.

another option is this one...
no regulator required.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-12-801-1

ive ran these pumps in my gassers for decades, and the past year and a half on my IDI, they work great.
when you find something that works, you stick with it.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. I'd look for damaged wiring from the fuel pump.

As for headlights, you can get factory replacements, clean the old ones, or get into the vendor section of fullsizebronco.com and order a pair of retrofitted HID projectors (about $600+).

i do not agree, i would look at the SFV, or the sending units themselvs.
if it bounces, the contacts in the sender could be corroded.
FYI the water temp and oil pressure gauges are more like idiot lights.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled the interior out yesterday evening to get everything cleaned up. Here is what the carpet/inside looks like, it's pretty dirty, but I think it will clean up alright. I plan on taking the carpet out too and pressure washing it.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My parking brake pedal is drooping and does not have much resistance. Is this a common problem? What's the fix?