Need a few tips? 6.9idi

foreigner

"Ultimo gol"
Reaction score
Morning,

I am looking at an 84 F250 this Friday. I have had a few 7.3's so I'm somewhat aware of the early block crackin' problems of the 6.9, along with the Autolite horror stories and head gasket failures LOL

Here is what I can tell you about the truck;

1984 F250 has a 4 speed manual along with 4x4 and 178 000k miles. Not sure of the gearing as they had only two options in this setup (praying it will be 3.54 as I wont be towing a whole lot)
It is a one owner truck, and the rust has not gotten out of controll yet, I did't get a chance to speak to the ol' owner himself, but exchanged a few lines with some members of his family over the phone.
It has one dent in the middle passenger side fender, two small rust holes one on the bottom of the left fender and one on the passenger side by the tail light.
As I mentioned, they couldn't tell me a whole lot about it other than that the fuel drains back, making it hard to start, their mechanic told them a new fuel check valve is needed.
The truck has a fifth-wheel hitch and according tail gate along with an electric brake controller.

There is no fuel check valve as far as I know, besides the little valve with a magnifying galss looking bottom by the IP which serves a different purpose. So I assume it has a small diesel leak somewhere, perhaps around the plastic caps.

That's all I know, the asking price is 1500$ which I think is fair.

Let me know what the pitfalls could be.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your assessment of the fuel drain back is correct. A new return line kit would fix that truck right up.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
That's pretty much the same truck as I have. I tossed a ZF in it, so I can cruise at proper speeds and still get good mpg. Its been a great truck. I removed the block heater and installed a frost plug. The block heater port is the ONLY port that you can install a regular frost plug in. The rest require a special tool. So im not going to worry about cracking there anymore. I installed a lower rad hose heater and it works just fine.
Grab it.

foreigner

"Ultimo gol"
Reaction score
Ok folx, I ended up getting it, but only because the lack of rust and rot on the body itself.
This F250 has been on the farm and owned by the same family since new, but had a somewhat hard life.

Got to Avon MN last Thursday with my tools and proper motivation, after a few hours she was finally running, quite smooth, but as I suspected, the return lines were in terrible shape, hopped inn the cab only to find out that there was no clutch (no pressure), the pedal disappeared to the floor. The farmer knocked off 100 bucks, and I drove me to the closest Napa store so I could get the master cyl. The slave cyl. was also leaking but not as bad. Besides that, and one hell of a wiring mess under the hood it looked decent.

She made it nearly all the way to Inver Grove Heights (4.8 miles away) and quit on me. The tow for 4.8 miles was 124 bucks!
Nxt morning I realized that the FSS didnt have 12v on it with the key in "start" position.

So far I have replaced all the return lines, caps, rubber rings and ect.
Wired up a new lift pump, changed the oil + filter along with the diesel filter and all the battery terminal clamps + cables as mine were all corroded and cracked. Also cleaned up some of the wiring mess, but not all as I need a complete chart of how it is supposed to look.

Took her for a spin today, only to find out that the fuel block off plate (big block chevy) does not seal, AT ALL...

Any suggestions? Is it possible to put it inn upside down? Here are a few pics...
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• 20150803_194756[1].jpg
    20150803_194756[1].jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 127

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ummm. Don't ask me how I know, but it is absolutely possible to put it in upside down. If I remember right, the longer end goes up.

foreigner

"Ultimo gol"
Reaction score
Hmm, ok, Ill give it a go tomorrow.

Oh, and this truck also has 8 non working auto-lites in it with a non working GP relay and controller :(

So it only start with a TINY squirt of ether

foreigner

"Ultimo gol"
Reaction score
watch out changing those glowplugs! be very very carefull not to break off the tips---Rob

Pulled heads on my 7.3 about a year ago :( 4 out 8 broke off..so I know where this is headed. For now, ether it is.. but thnx for giving me heads up

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Have you figured out the axle ratio yet? I'm guessing 4.10 , it being a farm truck and having a 5th wheel hitch. Looks like you bought a mechanic's special, all maintenance ignored until it became too much to bother with. Good luck getting out the GPs.

foreigner

"Ultimo gol"
Reaction score
According to the interstate speeds, probably 4.10...Ill check tomorrow. Mechanic special huh? :) it has had quite a few oil changes though, no filters just oil... they (farmer) have 4 ford ps trucks as well and john D tractors sittin around.. as I mentioned, I bought it because the body was in great shape for 1400$ so lets see if it serves me well

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took her for a spin today, only to find out that the fuel block off plate (big block chevy) does not seal, AT ALL...

Any suggestions? Is it possible to put it inn upside down?

Yes, this is possible. BUT ALSO! There is the distinct possibility of the plate being too big. There is a machined lip above the hole that some brands of plates hit against and bend, therefore not sealing at all. I speak from experience. I believe a Spectre brand block off plate is the one you want....

JM2CW

foreigner

"Ultimo gol"
Reaction score
Yes, this is possible. BUT ALSO! There is the distinct possibility of the plate being too big. There is a machined lip above the hole that some brands of plates hit against and bend, therefore not sealing at all. I speak from experience. I believe a Spectre brand block off plate is the one you want....

JM2CW

Sir, you were right, it was too big, spent about an hour filing it down, and matched the gasket to the old lift pump (thank god the garbage truck hasn't come around yet) :) Now it fits!! And does not leak, regarding the gears, they are indeed 4.10's Oh and I also noticed that it leaks a little bit of coolant, probably out of the block heater insert!

Here are some pics, cleaned the interior and the outside the best I could, it also needs a new headliner, which will be the next project after I sort out GP issues and the coolant leak. She has to be ready for the 24th (college)

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sure pleased someone explained the block lip leak issue some end up with. Nice easy fix too once you know what to look for. Also nice looking rig. I always liked this color combo.:thumbsup:

foreigner

"Ultimo gol"
Reaction score
Sure pleased someone explained the block lip leak issue some end up with. Nice easy fix too once you know what to look for. Also nice looking rig. I always liked this color combo.:thumbsup:

Hah thnx pal, yeah it was just a matter of a few millimeters that's all..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online