What glow plugs should i use?.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm replacing my injectors got to the last back two on the passenger side and found the furthest back glow plug broken off:mad:. What glow plug should i use, i thought i heard to use MOTORCRAFT ZD-9's but not sure, any tricks to removing these.

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
It depends on what year your truck is, '83-86 is one style, '87-94 is another so one part number isn't going to cover them all.

As far as brands, that's like asking what oil, battery, tires, blondes or brunettes; the answers are all going to vary, and they're all opinion.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the tip broke, the nut is still there so should be able to unscew it drop another in there before i run my return lines and such. My truck is a 93 still takes ZD-9?.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends on what year your truck is, '83-86 is one style, '87-94 is another so one part number isn't going to cover them all.

As far as brands, that's like asking what oil, battery, tires, blondes or brunettes; the answers are all going to vary, and they're all opinion.

When it comes to glow plugs, I'd have to disagree. We have more than enough empirical data to at least indicate the brands that have KNOWN horrible failure rates. Autolite and Champion are #1 (go figure... the people with trusted names in spark plugs) the worst. Other brands in less critical light, until you get to Beru which is the #1 trusted glow plug. I guess it is my opinion that these are facts.... so maybe you are right after all. LOL

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I would have to agree with Mel on this one. They are not all created equal and I have had far be luck with the buru brand.

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
See? The brand nonsense is flaring up already. I've run Autolite's for nearly a decade in my '84 without losing a one.
I have Beru's in my garage with the ends burned up.
All the IDIs I've worked on the only brand I've constantly had issues with swollen ends are Champions. Yet, there's another member here that reports that Champions are the only good plug he's run.
So, use whatever works for you and floats your boat. Or fires your fuel.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See? The brand nonsense is flaring up already. I've run Autolite's for nearly a decade in my '84 without losing a one.
All the IDIs I've worked on the only brand I've constantly had issues with swollen ends are Champions. Yet, there's another member here that reports that Champions are the only good plug he's run.

it's not nonsense and here's why.it's very simple.
1.your in the minority with this claim:
"I've run Autolite's for nearly a decade in my '84 without losing a one."

however with that said,congrats! (non sarcastic tone.)

2.your also in the minority with this statement:
"I have Beru's in my garage with the ends burned up."

sorry to hear of your misfortune.(non sarcastic tone.)

when you go to see reviews online for example like amazon.you can find some crappy products with bad reviews right.notice almost always however said product happened to hold up and be good for a few.possibly so good a few gave it a 5 star (max/good) rating even?
but then see so many 1 star (worst/bad) ratings.
this doesn't mean the 5 star voter was telling fibs or anything silly.his perception and his experience with the project may very well be 5 stars.it just so happens he's in the minority.

same exact thing when you go to look at a super product rated 5 stars by the masses.there's going to be a few failure rates and few unhappy customers rating the product as 1 star.

so it's not nonsense and your not wrong brother.you just stand alone.:D
(sarcastic tone.)

Black dawg

Reaction score

what part # autolite are you running though? Autolite does have some very good glow plugs, but the plugs that autolite makes for the 6.9 and 7.3 application are JUNK.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to unscrew my one bad glow plug threaded out easy but now i cant get it to pull out, i can move it a bit but wont come out. should i just try to put a wedge on it and pop it out or am i missing something?.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Carbon build-up on the tip of the plug. See if you can chuck a drill onto it and spin it while pulling up gently. Kinda "mill" the carbon off...good luck.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I have had auto lites and champion plugs burn out in in a couple of glow cycles. Are buru plugs perfect? No but through time they have proven to be the superior brand to use. I have seen enough threads where people tried other brands and regretted it, not all but enough. Can you get good use out of other brands? Yes it is possible but overall many have had the most success with buru Motorcraft.