Salsco Wood Chipper With Raptor Tintable Bed Liner

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Salsco Wood Chipper With Raptor Tintable Bed Liner.

so my diesel wood chipper has seen better days.she was getting rusty,the bed knifes needed to be swapped over,the pump mount broke on me while working and then the (new,several hundred dollar) pump shaft broke and she was finally down for the count.
well after calling to find out a new replacement (with same options) would set me back 24 grand,i looked it over and figured for a couple grand i could fix this one properly once and for all.so i finally did.
first,i took it to the local big truck/welding shop and had them fix the rusted out parts and extend the tongue for me.then i ordered the belts,cables,new hydraulic fluid,sent the new pump i had just bought,out for repair (much cheaper!) and then i had enough of the ugly.it was time to make it look good as well.
so i went and rented a sand blaster and compressor and took not only the por-15 that didn't hold up very well down,but all the flaky factory orange powder coat down to bare metal,so that all i had was a good clean base to prime.then i decided since the machine was pitted from age of being rusty,why not bed line it right? so i did.i tinted it with a very close match to salsco orange; ford competition orange and put on 3 kits total.now the old chipper not only works as good as new,it looks presentable again too.here's the stages;

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    526.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    482.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    585.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    507.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    376.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    524.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 20

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
getting her into some etching primer.mostly sprayed using the compressor and gun,but a quart didn't quite do it so i just ran out for a couple etching primer spray bombs (the darker spots) to finish it up.
attachment.php

attachment.php

so rather than 24 grand to buy a new chipper,i invested 2,500 into this one (with a perfect running diesel) for all the parts,welding repairs,new fluids,filters,knifes flipped and adjusted,cables,belts,rental,my fuel running for stuff and paint/bed liner kits.she turned out nice! i even ordered a new decal kit that i'll put on latter.iv been using it,so i'll need to wash her up first.anyway,the end result;
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

so iv still got to mount and wire up the lights again.i even ordered electric brakes for it last year (even though it's light,it will be nicer to drive if it helps stop itself when the truck is heavy,full of chips) the decal kit but that's about it.she should be good to go for years to come.:)

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 92
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    626.8 KB · Views: 94
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    564.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    585.4 KB · Views: 95
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    563.7 KB · Views: 95

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks.that sand blaster and compressor worked me right to death! worked awesome but holy crap,what a messy job! you'd sure want a enclosed and oxygenated suit/helmet if you did this often.oh man,messy and uncomfortable.you just can't beat removing rust properly though.i bet this holds up for years and years now.
i had napa get me the paint to mix into the raptor for those who might paint something with the stuff.amazon has the best prices for the raptor kits.you just need to make sure to get the kit with the gun like this one;
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002M0S9AE

it screws right to the bottle so no gun clean up.just toss the bottle.just need to clean the head if you plan on keeping it.if you get the tintable kind,you need to mix it in mixing buckets.the instructions say to mix to the "lines" the hardener and then the tint,but there isn't enough room for both.if you get the non tint/black the hardener would fit and sake/mix fine im sure though.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice job!;Sweet A lot of work but well worth it. Don't spend that $21,500 you just saved all in one place! The bed liner will probably outlast the chipper. I recently did the tailgate of my truck (inside and out) with a similar product (Monstaliner) and it turned out so nice I have been thinking about painting the whole truck with it. Anyway -thanks for sharing!

DougL

Reaction score
Nice job man. It's inspirational to see what folks come up with.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
what a time iv been having with this thing lately.see how the hydraulic pump mounts off the cutter wheel here.this was a bad mistake.they should of mounted it off the diesel engine instead.the pump shafts have been snapping off! $80 a pop!
finally i had enough and i took it to the machine shop.i was going to have them remote mount the pump and run two pulleys and a belt but he tore into it to find out the issue were failed bearings.both of them on the each side of the cutting wheel.so iv been waiting for it to be fixed.hauling brush sucks! my guys are not happy lol.:D well, im not jumping for joy paying them to haul off brush either,so that makes all of us lol.anyway she should be ready today.he says we can still remount the pump but he says it's going to run so much more smooth again that will probably be fine to keep it where it is.kinda nervous about that but ok.one more broken shaft though after this,that's it! i'll take it right back and have them put it on a belt.
crossing my fingers.

that's how salsco does it now i see.pulleys and belt.........but hey,the things a '98 and it's worked for all these years so.hopefully will be just fine once the cutter wheel can't hop.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online