04, 6.0 No start Non common problem

PMPower

Reaction score
I am stumped with this one.

It died while driving from SC, and has never started again.

Here is what I have found at first and what I have done. and where I am at now.

ICP tested bad, replaced along with a new non oily pigtail

IPR split screen, replaced IRP and pigtail

HOP was not making but 50, replaced, this is the one before the STC fitting came out. Had garbage in ball bearing ,

new gaskets and fliters.

Now I get a no start, still. 990 desired, with icp plugged in, 2.7 maybe

with it unplugged it matches desired, still no start.

I checked that for my

p0113 intake air
p0403 EGRC
p0405 EGR Sensor ( egr is deleted )
p1000 obd readiness
p2285 ICP Sensor
p2291 ICP pressure low
and every now and then the ckp and cmp or p2614 and 2617

I do a buzz test and they are all very very weak, so if a car drives by you can hear nothing. and not all of them buzz when you do a test

no codes for inj, and ficm is 48, and keeps its voltage while cranking, 48 and the others come in at 12+ or battery voltage

will not start with icp unplugged, and it matched the 990 psi

will not start with ipr at 85 ( in which I was searching for something to be different, I actuated it this high )

Have gone over the sensors, and will pass a koeo test.

The though I have is it is a sinister 58v they put on here, I think it is the FICM

I just would like to hear what every one else has to say.

Cuz my head is tired of pounding the wall and wallet getting thin

Thanks

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I would take a serious look at the FICM. Mine went, but it finally quit after I parked it in the garage.

I used this test:

http://www.ficmfixer.com/testing.htm

They are also the ones who I had repair mine. When mine went, I had blue smoke (since the timing was off) and a bit of trouble starting. Mine is a stock repair (48v) and resolved the issues. Mine never went over 12v period......

2 other things I can think of that would make a no-start is a bad fan clutch, or connection to it. Or a failed TPS on the throttle pedal in the cabin..... You should have a code if they are having issues... but....

Any smoke while cranking?

What are you using to pull codes?

Can you watch the ICP pressure while cranking?

Was the new ICP a Ford ICP, or was it aftermarket. The aftermarket ones can introduce issues. When I replaced my ICP, I got one from Ford......

PMPower

Reaction score
I would take a serious look at the FICM. Mine went, but it finally quit after I parked it in the garage.

I used this test:

http://www.ficmfixer.com/testing.htm

They are also the ones who I had repair mine. When mine went, I had blue smoke (since the timing was off) and a bit of trouble starting. Mine is a stock repair (48v) and resolved the issues. Mine never went over 12v period......

2 other things I can think of that would make a no-start is a bad fan clutch, or connection to it. Or a failed TPS on the throttle pedal in the cabin..... You should have a code if they are having issues... but....

Any smoke while cranking?

What are you using to pull codes?

Can you watch the ICP pressure while cranking?

Was the new ICP a Ford ICP, or was it aftermarket. The aftermarket ones can introduce issues. When I replaced my ICP, I got one from Ford......

I bought all new parts from ford.

The sinister was on there already.

I am getting smoke, but only backpressure type

I am using Autoingenuity and can see icp, and all sensors I can see

It will drop to about 10v I have seen it as low as 8 when cranking, but the 48 will not go far from 48

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Try to keep FICM logic power above 10 volts or you're going to kill it quickly.

Are you seeing any low oil pressure gauge movement on the dash cluster?
If not, any flow into the filter canister when someone is cranking it for you?

Early or late model 04? ICP on HPOP cover for early or on valve cover for late model 04?

If early model and she died all of a sudden, what does the contents of your oil filter pleats look like?

Any copper or silver glitter or chunks?

The 03 & early 04 HPOP designs when the fail have a tendency to send shrapnel into the high pressure oil system and into the oil filter and oil pan. Don't ask me how I know this because my 03 is sitting 1200 miles away from home now for the same thing.
IPR screen was compromised if I read correctly, which indicated the HPOP sump screen has failed and is allowing contaminates back into the high pressure oil system and will clog the IPR screen up as well causing a no HP oil supply issue which you're experiencing.
That screen(under the oil cooler) will need to be replaced ASAP.

PMPower

Reaction score
Try to keep FICM logic power above 10 volts or you're going to kill it quickly.

Are you seeing any low oil pressure gauge movement on the dash cluster?
If not, any flow into the filter canister when someone is cranking it for you?

Early or late model 04? ICP on HPOP cover for early or on valve cover for late model 04?

If early model and she died all of a sudden, what does the contents of your oil filter pleats look like?

Any copper or silver glitter or chunks?

The 03 & early 04 HPOP designs when the fail have a tendency to send shrapnel into the high pressure oil system and into the oil filter and oil pan. Don't ask me how I know this because my 03 is sitting 1200 miles away from home now for the same thing.
IPR screen was compromised if I read correctly, which indicated the HPOP sump screen has failed and is allowing contaminates back into the high pressure oil system and will clog the IPR screen up as well causing a no HP oil supply issue which you're experiencing.
That screen(under the oil cooler) will need to be replaced ASAP.

Replaced the screen, yes there was junk but from the dorman gasket they used, was not a silver and gold in the oil, looks nasty and thick but other then that, fine ,( which we all know iol is not suppose to look like that )

it is with the icp on the valve cover

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when i was working on a 6.0 last, i was watching some youtube videos and there were different no start conditions where they explained FICM voltage, FICM sync ICP and IPR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TYa4OpdUns

there was one situation where a frozen AC compressor was causing a no start.
real quick test.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larrymac

Staff online