looking for new headlights.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im looking for a set of new smoked headlights.
i have a HID conversion for em'
but there does not seem to be much of a market for the brick nose.
has anyone seen 87-91 smoked headlights?
looking for new

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
You could always make your own or make projector style lights.if your head lights are pretty clear you can bake um in the oven to kinda loosen the glue up and pull the headlight cover off just be careful do pry use a flat head screw driver and if it don't go bake it some more.once you get the cover off you could paint the inside of the headlight bucket and it'll be kinda smoked.the lense it self will be clear but the inside will be black
You must be registered for see images attach
I know these arnt for a bricknose but I just bought these and the inside is black but the lense itself is clear.hope that helps.google how to bake um

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that 2nd link is exactly what im looking for!
thanks jasper!
never bought anything from amazon...
ill purchase them tomorrow

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check fleabay. I got them a little cheaper for same brand.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you sure it's a smoked lens? I think it's just the picture. Look at the other pictures. I'd call and ask or send an email before I bought. I've not seen smoked lenses for these trucks. I've seen the covers but I have not seen direct smoked lenses. You could run the part number through google I guess too.

Just don't want you to get something that isn't what you want.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea i saw that, i will contact them.
and the color of the turn signal lenses isnt quite amber either.
dont want different shades of amber.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I have to go into Richard Cranium mode for a minute.

If you're planning to put HID bulbs in your truck, you really need to get a front lens that doesn't have the light pattern etched into it.

Unfortunately, I have yet to see a setup like that for the brick-nose headlights, although it may be possible to fabricate something from a piece of clear plastic or plexiglass.

There are two significant problems here:

1) The HID projector assembly already has the intended light pattern output built into it. Every vehicle with HID lights has a clear outer lens for exactly this reason. Going through a second lens with a light output pattern is going to throw the light every which way.

2) Even if the first issue wasn't there, the light pattern etched into the lens on these trucks was designed for a halogen bulb. The light coming out of a HID bulb does so in a different "raw" pattern than a halogen bulb, so the light pattern will be thrown off kilter all that much more.

As someone who drives professionally and spends a lot of time on the road at night, being blinded by someone who threw HID lights into halogen housings is one of my biggest pet peeves. Furthermore, it ends up throwing a lot of light in the wrong places (down immediately in front of you, which makes it look like it's doing well, as well as in the right spot to blind oncoming traffic) without really putting light where you really need it.

I'd be surprised if you haven't seen this link before, but I'll post it anyways: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

I disagree with the article about no HID conversion being possible; it can be done properly if you get a full HID projector assembly (sounds like you already have this ;Sweet) and a headlight housing with a clear front lens (which AFAIK don't exist as a bolt-in for the bricknose trucks, although you can get them for OBS trucks)...but, that's really the only way it can be done.

If you're going to do HID's, PLEASE do it right!!

[/rant]

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you know Tim, you could have been more politically correct, you almost hurt my feelings ;Sweet LOL

actually never thought about that, great point.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you know Tim, you could have been more politically correct, you almost hurt my feelings ;Sweet LOL

actually never thought about that, great point.
:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

I had written that at the end of a 20 hour day, and I wasn't sure how diplomatic my post was going to sound, hence the disclaimers LOL

Unfortunately, headlight options for the brick-nose trucks seriously suck...one of the two big reasons I'm moving to the OBS front end (the other reason being the extra space for an intercooler). However, I recall that somebody did a clear lens and HID projector for a brick-nose...I'll see if I can find it...

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep,

Talked to Darrin at the Midwest Rally about the Aussie lights. They are a really neat setup, and he added the TruckLite LED's to them whit are really awesome (to the point I would consided doing an XL light swap on the Ex to get the LED lights he has). The trouble is, the Aussie Lights were only available on the XL (stripped down work truck) model in Australia. The others got the same brick headlights we did. This is one reason they are so hard to find.

He did some "reverse engineering" on his, and the headlight buckets are the same, but the unique piece is the "filler ring" that takes up the room between the sealed beam and the grill and what holds the bulb in.

I am seeing LED replacements for the 900? bulbs..... I may look into those.