U joint shennanigans, Dont know what else to do

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my 2002 v10 f350 is down for the count. ridiculous drive shaft vibration. Upon investigation, found the rear U joint, though it presses into the drive shaft nicely, has play between the keepers on the axle yoke. So does every other U joint that claims to fit this kind of truck in this spot, or anywhere else.

So after taking the ol IDI out of retirement to hopefully head up to Dinosaur National Monument and pick up a new bike (2008 Yamaha raider for anyone who is into that sort of thing) I remembered this site and the wealth of knowledge the members posess. I know its a long shot but figured id throw it out there, What should i do? The yoke appears to be cast, i cant imagine it stretching or bending. Do I need to buy a new yoke? Has anyone encountered anything like this before? The u joints are around 1/8th of an inch too short, and I brought my calipers with me to the parts stores and didn't find anything that would suffice.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any idea. I bought this truck with 200k and have no MX history unfortunately

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i would junkyard it and find another driveshaft, or take it to a specialty shop.
looks like someone put the wrong u joints in it and destroyed everything.

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im going to try the drivetrain shop in town Tomorrow, thanks! THe more i am looking into it, the more I think the rear axle pinion shaft is worn. Hope thats it!

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgot to repost back with data, yoke was indeed bad! New yoke fits the Ujoint perfect, been trying to get it installed though. Have yet to get the pinion yoke to slide all the way onto the pinion shaft.