1984 F250 6.9 Won't Stay Running

njstang87

Reaction score
Hello everyone and thank you for taking the time to view this thread.

As the title states I have a 84 F250 6.9 with a 4 speed. The truck starts fine with the help of either (I will be replacing the glow plugs once I get this issue resolved). I let the truck warm up and wait for the high idle to kick off. I take off down the road and the truck acts like the key was shut off, rpms drop and it will die. Sometimes I can keep it running if I mash the pedal all the way down then if I have enough momentum while it's still in gear, I'll keep rolling (the rpms stay low around 1000) then like I turned the key back on it hits then comes back to life. It will keep this up over and over. This has been going on for a while and it seems to be getting worse.

I replaced the lift pump because I thought it was failing. New lift pump is on and still having the problem. Before I go throwing new parts at it I would like to get some expertise or input from anyone that had a similar problem.

I have been running a mix of waste oil and diesel. My next step is going to be running a fuel line from a can of staright diesel from to the lift pump and seeing what happens. Does this sound like a problem with the injection pump solenoid?

Any help would be Greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
When it dies does it start right back up?
If not: more fuel system checks
If yes: I'd try hooking the fss straight to the battery and see what happens, might be a bad harness.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

njstang87

Reaction score
The problem still exists even if I top the tank off. When I try to restart it I have to wait 30-60 seconds then I have to hold the peddle to the floor and crank it for 10-15 seconds then it will fire off. I will take a look at the harness. Thanks for the responses.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Where abouts are you in Indiana? There are several members spread throughout the state.......

We even have a rally starting this weekend.......