First Owned Diesel

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all, hope all is well.

Ford/International 6.9 IDI Turbo. It's in a 1986 F250 3/4 Ton. SRW/Single Cab. I'm not sure if the motor is the stock factory motor because it has an ATS turbo system installed and I can't find anywhere online where they offered a turbo on a 86 IDI. It runs and drives but the C6 is getting rebuilt soon and the steering gear box replaced as well. I purchased the truck about 2 weeks ago from the original owner for $1500. It was used to pull a horse trailer for the past 28 years. This is my first owned diesel pickup and I am by far no diesel mechanic. I'm looking to get a little insight on the motor and to also see if there is anyone in the South Texas area (Victoria, TX, Corpus Christi, Houston etc..) who works on these IDI's in the "performance" aspect. I'm looking to drop some cash into this engine/turbo and completely understand what I'm getting myself into and the costs. It wont be a daily driver so the truck can have plenty of down time. I personally don't have the tools and knowledge required to do these improvements myself so I'm going to have to eat both parts and labor which I've totally accepted. Gotta pay to play!

Any input and guidance is highly appreciated. I thank all in advance for any responses and am very glad to be apart of the diesel world and this forum now!

Doug

Last edited:

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
I'm in SA but I'm always on I-10 East(Trucks There)
If your ever in Houston SA Etc I have tools and can help.
Pics of your Truck?

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No 6.9 came with a turbo. In '88 the 7.3 came out. It was essentially a bored out 6.9, still without a turbo. In '93.5 a factory turbo was an option on the 7.3 IDI, and was an ATS turbo but had the Ford logo on it. ATS badged turbos were available aftermarket at the same time and that is what you have. "94 was the last year for the IDI (indirect diesel injection). The Power Stroke 7.3 came out midway through '94 and was a completely different engine. '86 is a good year as it is the last of the so called slantnose body style. The 6.9 saw several improvements over the course of production and many are incorporated in '86. The early 6.9 blocks were prone to cracking in the area of the block heater. In '87 the rocker arms were redesigned and that design was continued on the 7.3 and would be an upgrade you could do to your engine at some point.
It seems like this section of Oilburners doesn't see a lot of traffic so if you want to ask questions ask away in the 6.9/7.3 IDI section. Photos of your rig are always popular.

Last edited:

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I currently live in Victoria and grew up in El Campo. My father was a diesel mechanic but unfortunately passed in 2010 so I wasn't able to take on this new adventure with him and his expertise to guide me. But anyways, I highly appreciate the offer and will more than likely be in touch when the time comes. I'm in the beginning stages of getting a parts list together and parts ordered so I can start the process. She def. needs some TLC but I can handle it

I feel really "slow" that I can't figure out how to post pics yet. :/ lol I am using an android and not a p/c though so I feel a little more challenged at the moment.

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tool box, head rack and grill guard have since been removed. Never been much of a fan for them on any pick up and the horse shoes that have been added didn't help with that disliking. Lol "custom"

Attachments

• 20150625_161109.jpg
    20150625_161109.jpg
    1,019.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20150627_162039.jpg
    20150627_162039.jpg
    743.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20150627_162056.jpg
    20150627_162056.jpg
    949.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20150627_162030.jpg
    20150627_162030.jpg
    993.6 KB · Views: 13

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks again! I'm new to forums so I'm still getting the hang of things. I will work on getting some updated pics with the truck cleaned and with all of the extras off. It's currently parked at a friends who has the extra space for it to take up.

I appreciate that sir.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like it. Those Alcoa wheels are nice. I would like to find a set myself. Do you have any aftermarket gauges? Usually running a turbo it is recommended to have an EGT (exhaust gas temperature) gauge also known as a pyrometer.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
The tool box, head rack and grill guard have since been removed. Never been much of a fan for them on any pick up and the horse shoes that have been added didn't help with that disliking. Lol "custom" 
I see what your saying about the horseshoes. :puke:
Thats a nice Toolbox Tho.

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Id be willing to let them go as soon as I get replacememt rims and tires which is on the to do list. I have a 67 stang as well and thought itd be a nice touch to add another Ford to the selection . I couldn't pass on the truck being I have always wanted to own a diesel pickup that didn't empty my savings account upfront. Still leave me some cash to work with after the initial purchase.
There is a little cheapo Pyrometer mounted in the truck but it isn't working. Lol of course
Pyrometer, boost and trans temp gauges are on the to do list. I really like the custom installs I've seen a few guys do with the 3 gauge A Pillar for the 86 from a 94-97 I believe it is.

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see what your saying about the horseshoes. :puke:
Thats a nice Toolbox Tho.

Sold the three in a combo package for $100 to a friend who only wanted the Toolbox. Told him he had to take all three or it was a no go lol.
Originally purchased by a female horse vet. So that explains the horseshoes Didnt dare mention the Confederate style "Country Girl" decal on the front windshield.
Oh, wait. Oops......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VWAudiFord

Members online