1990 Ford Bronco 4BT swap

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1990 4BT Ford Bronco

I was browsing around craigslist Sunday, not really looking for anything in particular, and I came across this:

You must be registered for see images attach

and I went to look at it. It was in St. Helens, OR, about an hour away. Took it for a test drive and decided I had to have it. I was very impressed with the power this little 4-banger has! The guy I bought it from told me he routinely gets 25 mpg! On one trip he got 30! ;Sweet

My daily driver is a 2003 Honda Accord that runs and drives fine and looks nice, but it doesn't really do anything for me... It's just a box with four wheels to get from point A to point B. This Bronco, on the other hand, does something for me. I think it's going to be my daily driver after I get some of it's wrinkles ironed out.

Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, that is in immaculate shape it looks like inside and out. Congrats on the find. The swap looks pretty clean too. Always nice to have the 5 speed behind it. Is that the Mazda or ZF 5 speed?

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah Very nice! I'd love a diesel bronco. 4bt is icing on the cake. I would much prefer that over a 7.3 in a bronco. You guys in the northwest are so lucky regarding rust. Around here that thing would be rusty!

-Jeremy

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was more than I wanted to pay, but less than it would have been to put together in parts cost.

It's an M5OD; see my sig.

It's in what I would call decent shape. In a few months, I plan to have her in pretty good shape. This is going to take priority over the DT360 project. Just means I've got to get this done quickly so I can get back on the big diesel project. :D

I'm on swing shift at work and will be for the next couple of weeks, so I probably won't be posting much. But don't worry, there's more to come.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gosh that motor looks so small in there. I wonder what kind of HP you can comfortably get out of one of those. When you would like some more fuel out of that VE pump, give me a call.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm getting around to doing one of those swaps too for me TX grocery getter. I already have the ZF5 with the SBF bolt pattern. waiting on collecting a 4bt, adaptor, and flywheel for the conversion. soon!
btw...what rear gearing is in it and are you happy with it?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
The 4BT is a nice package in a smaller full size vehicle, such as a Full Size Bronco or a Regular Cab Fullsize Truck.

I drove Droopy when I went to pick up the Jetta. I will say for a "little 4 banger" Droopy moved along just fine.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is awesome. Let us know how it ends up on performance. I would also be interested in hearing about what gears it has in the axles.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not too sure on gearing... I'll find out and get back to you guys.

If the tachometer is reasonably accurate, it's at about 2K rpm at 65 mph. It seems like it's geared about perfectly. ;Sweet

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 4BT is studded, the reciprocating assembly has been balanced, it has a Fluidamper harmonic balancer and the motor mounts are machined, not welded. It was a well-done conversion.

Everything from the bell housing back is stock except for the pillar mounted three gauge cluster.

Gosh that motor looks so small in there. I wonder what kind of HP you can comfortably get out of one of those. When you would like some more fuel out of that VE pump, give me a call.

Will do, Mel! If you haven't built a pump for one of these yet, I'll gladly be your guinea pig.

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im not really a fan of those brush guards, but the rest of that bronco is pretty damn sweet ;Sweet

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im not really a fan of those brush guards, but the rest of that bronco is pretty damn sweet ;Sweet

It's same as the one I've had on my F250 for at least three years:

Vive la difference, eh? :D

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks like a great rig. Only thing I see from the pics is the mounting bracket for the lower radiator hose...re nylon rope...;Sweet

Looks like it gets the job done though! Seriously cool truck.

I am jealous.