bought first 6.9, IDI, 8000 original miles...first real problem, transmission :-(

toby2tongues

Reaction score
Just bought my first "classic" diesel last week...1984, F250 Centurion DRW, automatic transmission, 6.9., 8,000 miles, have lived on this site for the last 5 days, thank you to every person that has ever posted here, you have gave me a great start....but now I have my first major problem...tranny is hemorrhaging fluid. I will post a run down in the appropriate section...thank you again to all of you.

a little run down on the truck:

Bought it right outside of Columbus Ohio. the first owner paid cash for the truck. later that year he needed a loan. asked a local business owner (owned a huge truck accessories shop) the guy demanded the keys, title and truck to make the loan....gave the guy the loan, he never paid back the loan. the truck has sat in an air conditioned warehouse since 1985, with the mechanics as the shop keeping care of it. the old man passed 2 years ago, I then bought it from the family.

Other than the oxidized paint (which i have buffed out) the truck looks just like you would expect an 8,000 mile truck to look. so far the only things i have found are 2 leaking fuel return caps, oil leak from the harmonic balancer seal, and a horrible transmission leak (I will post detail in another thread, need help/advise). so far so good...wish me luck.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome to the site. congrats on your "barn find".
if I was in your shoes, I'd replace all the tires, re-seal the engine and transmission, replace the belts and hoses and brake hoses, brake wheel cylinders and reseal the brake calipers. in short. any rubber or synthetic rubber seal is going to be storage hardened. Do it now orit will nickel and dime you to death from seeps and leaks.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so i wonder why the loan issuer never sold or used the truck.very odd.without doing so,he just gave his money away.that was the purpose of taking the title.very bizarre! very poor business decision by the person who lent the money.ouch.

but how fortunate for you that the truck just sat and that you found it.congrats and welcome to oil burners.

attachment.php

attachment.php

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the OB.
Along with what towcat suggested, you should change the oil and coolant. The oil cooler on the drivers side, the O'rings have probably hardened up and should be replaced also. Replace the lift pump, cheap at $26, diaphram in it could go anytime. Replace the "Olives" in the hard lines, one at the top from lift pump to filter and one each end of the line from filter to IP.
If the trans. is leaking fluid out the front, the seal on the input shaft from torque converter is probably it, have to pull the trans to fix that. If that, then a good time to replace the rear main seal. While your doing all that, would be a good time to fill the filter with some Seafoam or ATF, run the engine for 2 -3 minutes and let set at least overnite.
Super find, but do all those things and you'll have a really nice truck for a long time.

Just thought of the rubber hoses to the rad oil cooler lines, probably are shot, cracked and leaking.

Last edited:

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! In addition to whats been mentioned above, put your truck's info in your signature along with any changes or upgrades. It eliminates lots of repetitive questions when asking for help on something that broke or is acting funny.

Good find! Replace whats been mentioned already and enjoy!

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well done! Do as stated above, its cheap insurance.
Nice score, I have a 93 with 39k ( thought I found a rare one) smart lender to get the title ( I will buy your truck' then you can buy it back) ala pawn shop for a friend!
Pics ?

toby2tongues

Reaction score
so i wonder why the loan issuer never sold or used the truck.very odd.without doing so,he just gave his money away.that was the purpose of taking the title.very bizarre! very poor business decision by the person who lent the money.ouch.

but how fortunate for you that the truck just sat and that you found it.congrats and welcome to oil burners.

not that odd considering the guy was a millionaire. he bought cars and just let them sit, having his mechanics keep them serviced...he was a bit of a car hoarder...anything weird, anything unique or rare, he bought it. from old Rolls Royce's to F250 duallys